PDA

View Full Version : Persistant Statues and Animation Timing

C-Dawg
12-13-2002, 02:43 AM
When statue combos are removed from a screen, fireballs continue to come out of the position the statute combo occupied.

In particular, I set up a cell that rapidly switches between a slashable and a C statute combo. After slashing, it turns into a walkable combo, but the walkable combo continues to act as though it were a statue.

Also, I've realized why we do need bush animation when we have animated combos. Animated combos dont work perfectly for the bush slash idea because animated combos constantly animate with the game clock; slashing a bush at the wrong time can put you in the middle of the animation instead of at the front. :P This causes problems with virtually ALL combo animation meant to occur when link slashes, bombs, or steps on something; they pick up in the middle of the animation, instead of at the start.

Is there any way to make it so that when animated combos first appear on a screen, they begin animating from their first frame regardless of what time it is?

-C

Dark Nation
12-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Combos that have a next combo value set should reset whenever you enter a screen. As for the slash statue idea, the problem is that the statue removel code checks if there are any fireball producers on top of statue combos. When you slash your flip-flopping combo set when it is on the slashable combo, it doesn't know that the fireball producer is supposed to be removed, since it isn't on a statue combo. I think you need to put a sword slash map flag on the statue combo. This should allow you to slash and get rid of the statue.

Jigglysaint
12-13-2002, 01:51 PM
I suggested in another thread that we have a few ways to prevent animation and combo cycling in a room untill you push a block, kill somthing, or step on a switch. This would work perfectly for making chests that appear that work perfectly, and no extra screens. I just found out that flag 10 works on a combo cycled combo.

C-Dawg
12-13-2002, 02:55 PM
Dark Nation, I think you misunderstand the problem I'm describing with combo animation. I understand it is reset when Link enters a screen, but consider the following situation: Link enters a screen, there is a bombable wall. The secret combo for the bomable wall is an animated combo that shows pieces of rock dropping from the top of the hole in the wall, then combo animates to the regular door. Under the current system, setting the bomb at the wrong time will display a truncated animation sequence- its only if a bomb flag is triggered exactly when the animated combo is at tile 0 of it's animation sequence that it works correctly.

As for the statutes- slash checking is ok, but perhaps being universal is better. We want to be able to pound statues away too. And not being able to use combo animation for this limits Link to one destructable statue per screen (or a series that all die with one blow to any one of them)

-C

Dark Nation
12-13-2002, 04:27 PM
As for the bomb rubble thing, you make a good point. I need to make it reset the combo it's switching to when you change combos on the screen. As for the statue destruction... I guess I could make a special statue fireball shooter that will vanish if the combo that it's on top of changes to another combo. This will let you create statues that fire once (not sure why anyone would want to do that), but you'd be able to do your animated statue thing then. Unfortunately, if you wanted to have statues that were dragons that raise their heads and start firing at you when you enter the room, this would not work. However, if I tweak the statue fireball shooter placement code, I could allow this if you make the statue combo the last in the chain of cycled combos. Right now, statues only work if they are on the screen to start with. I guess this gives me something to do this weekend...

Jigglysaint
12-13-2002, 04:40 PM
Here's another thing: If you have a cave map, and have it contiue there, you start at 00 instead of the right spot. Also, if you use the whistle, the palletes for the second c-set messes up. Any tiles that are set up to use an alternate c-set doesn't show. This stays for the entire map. One more thing: I used a side warp to enter a room from above the destination point, and made it a blackout warp. The first time, you kill enemies and the doors open(cave map, I'm using secret combos). The next time you enter, the doors stay shut and the enemies are still gone.

VEL
12-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Dark Nation
As for the bomb rubble thing, you make a good point. I need to make it reset the combo it's switching to when you change combos on the screen.

Another thing that would be good for is to make a entrance rise out of the water after you blow the whistle.
http://kenoshaonline.com/zelda/level6.gif

Jigglysaint
12-13-2002, 06:54 PM
Hm, like events in SMW. We just need animating secret combos.