PDA

View Full Version : fix the bombing problem in the new betas!

DarkFlameWolf
12-12-2002, 09:09 PM
http://www.planetdescent.com/darkwolf/temporary/bombprob.gif

In ver. 1.90 and betas without the door combos in effect, having a bombable wall on the left and right sides of a dungeon room with a curved wall close to it as depicted wouldn't cause any problems at all. But since DN has included the tiles just north and south of the bombable wall tile as the 'bomb door combo', you cannot have any structures that are 'near' the bombable opening anymore. And this will truly hinder my dungeon design and cause graphical glitches like the one depicted above in almost all of my dungeons where there were no glitches in previous versions without door combos. Can you please fix this?

Praethus
12-12-2002, 09:30 PM
You could create a special door combo set for that room that has the bombable door set up correctly with the corner tile. It'll take a little work, but it will fix the problem.

Jigglysaint
12-12-2002, 09:35 PM
It works, trust me. Since this is not a suggestion, I will close it or move it to Quest help.

DarkFlameWolf
12-12-2002, 09:43 PM
its a suggestion to fix it. :-p

Anyways, I see what Pratheus means, but it just seems of such a waste of a door combo. :-/ Esp. if you have 10 different door themes and have to make separate bomb situations for each theme. Could get up into the 60-70's of door combos.

Ganonator
12-12-2002, 11:58 PM
I get it to work just fine, if you have the areas above and below that hole in that door combo set as just blank black. it works great! try it.

DarkFlameWolf
12-13-2002, 05:03 AM
I tried that and what appears is two black boxes on the screen, so your technique doesn't quite work. And yes, I checked to make sure the tile used was all 'x's in the tile editor.

ShadowTiger
12-13-2002, 09:17 AM
But what if you widen the room so it won't happen again? If your rooms are all shaped strangely like that, then you could potentially make all bomb doors look like that in the door init data menu.

DarkFlameWolf
12-13-2002, 11:04 AM
well, they are meant to be strangely like that sometimes to cover or hide the bombable wall. Its hard to explain, but let's just say, I need them like that.

ShadowTiger
12-13-2002, 11:29 AM
Oh, I gotcha. Good call. Perhaps you could make it walkthrough, and the other side a passage? It works well for me. That way you can reserve the rest of the bombable things for elsewhere, and you can just add that one little tile, because the walkthrough icon only takes up one tile, not a whole 2x3 thing.

DarkFlameWolf
12-13-2002, 01:55 PM
no, it looks like I have to make 30+ door combos for every door theme and bombing scenario.

ShadowTiger
12-13-2002, 03:53 PM
:odd: You have that many? Wow. This is gonna be one heck of a quest. :eek: Thank you. But do you really need people to get frustrated over the demolition of a wall? I don't mean to disrupt any of your work or anything, but people got very frustrated in DoY when they couldn't get that dam dam di.... dam dam d...... dam dam dam..... :banghead: Damn Dam Door open. *whew* :D And that was even without any visual obstructions. So consider this please. And I thank you.

Verbatim
12-13-2002, 06:00 PM
Here's an alternative for you: If you're using any layers in the room, just tack on a tile to cover up the one that looks wrong when the doors change. If not...you could use layers instead of door-sets if that would be easier and you have the map space.

DarkFlameWolf
12-21-2002, 04:28 PM
yeah, I fixed the door combos so that when bombed they look correct. However, when they haven't been bombed yet, they still look wrong. But when bombed, they look fine. So I went back into door combos and set up the normal 'wall' on the side of the bombed wall to have that curve in it. So it would have that curve regardless if the wall had been bombed or not. Still doesn't work. Looks fine after its been bombed, but not before it has. I don't know what to do. So I may have to use those layers to cover up this flaw.