PDA

View Full Version : Of Flags and Layers

ShadowTiger
12-11-2002, 04:24 PM
My question to the good folks of this forum is, How do flags and layers intermix? I mean, I've heard people talking about how you can trigger a secret flag on another layer, or alter a layer with flags, or something like that. Please clear up my confusion. Thank you.

VEL
12-11-2002, 05:44 PM
It's only in the private betas.

It was added in beta 169, here is what DN said.

Screen flags (burn, bomb, etc.) work with layers now. Each layer can have separate screen flags and separate secret combos. So, triggering a flag on any layer triggers all flags on all layers. So, if you burn a tree that has a burn flag on it (layer 0), then the branches (layer 3) will also burn if they have a burn flag on them. Also, secret combos and flags now show for the current layer instead of always for layer 0.

ShadowTiger
12-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Oh. Thanks, VEL. I guess I'll just have to wait.

I was attempting to set a fire at the entrance to town, (I mean in my quest. :rolleyes: :laughing: ) and it would have used layers. I tried it, and it didn't work. And now I know why. Thank you VEL!

Petoe
12-12-2002, 10:28 AM
I have to wait too. I just yesterday realized that secret flags on layers doesn't work in the current beta, so I hope the new version comes very soon. One of my levels won't work without that new feature, and it will be annoying for the bugtesters to get stuck in that level as long as the new version is upon us (maybe I just have to give the L4 cheat to the testers so they can finish the level...).:( :redface:

ShadowTiger
12-12-2002, 11:19 AM
Hey, you got that :redface: smily from me! :kawaii: Cool.

This doesn't actually have to be a problem all that much really, if you can't walk on the layer, then you can just recolor it to be on the same terrain level as the rest of it like I did with my flame. When the layers work with the flags, then I can bring my flame back out to the layer. Until then, I just recolored the transparency of my 10th Cset (The Link Icon, I think. Whatever.) to be the grass color, so I was still able to draw the blue flame and have it match. A small price to pay, but I'm happy.

Petoe
12-12-2002, 12:30 PM
Well the problem in my quest goes like this: I have a floor of girders above one of the levels. So layer 1 has things that are going on downstairs, and the layer 2 has the girder. Now I want a slashable block on the girder, but I have to put it on layer 2 so it is above the girder, not under. But because this layer thing doesn't work, when I slah the block it wont vanish and you can't proceed in the level:mad:

ShadowTiger
12-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Wait, how can Link slash a block if it's over the girder? Why don't you just put the girders on Layer 3, and the block on layer 4? Because 3 and 4 are over Link, but under flying enemies.

Perhaps when you do what you need to do, the entire floor would turn into pit warps that look like the floor, and the warp would be instantaneous, so Link would appear to have slashed the block and would be on the girder. Work with the idea.

Petoe
12-12-2002, 05:46 PM
...It's kind of hard to explain it, but you got it wrong BH4. I CAN'T make the girder on layer 3, because then it would show over Link (in my quest Megaman) but I want Link to walk on the girder. So the girder must be on the layer 2 so that Link walks on it, and then the 1st floor is on the layer 1 (so it's under the girder, and Link). That works just fine, but I want to make a slashable block (using flag80) on the girder so I have to put that block on layer 2 so it's shows over the girder. Then I put the flag 80 too on layer 2 so that Link can trigger it by slashing his sword. But when I test the game, nothing happens when I slash the block!:angry:
But, according to the info that is given from the private betas, this should work in a newer version of ZClassic. Phew... (Now my head hurts):goofy:

Verbatim
12-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Even if you need it to be flag 80 instead of a slash combo for the final version...if a slash combo can work on layer two, you could use that temporarily and switch to using flag 80 later on...

VEL
12-12-2002, 06:30 PM
I just checked the newest beta, slash combos and flags (at least the sword one) can't be triggered if they are on layers. It seems secrets can be activated on layers, but the tile that triggers them can't be on a layer. If you want to have a tile on another layer that can be slashed with flag 80, you would put flag 80 on the screen, directly under the tile on the layer, then put another flag 80 on the tile on the layer. When you slash, it would hit flag 80, and then trigger the other flag 80 that is over it on a layer.

Petoe
12-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Oh, thank you! But does this work only in the new betas (what VEL said)?

VEL
12-12-2002, 06:34 PM
What I said, only works in the private betas.

Petoe
12-12-2002, 06:36 PM
OK. Oh damn...

VEL
12-12-2002, 06:59 PM
There might be a way to do what you want in beta 163. If you could post some pics of the room, 1 with all the layers on, and some with only 1 layer each (all the others turned off, so I can see what is on each layer), I might be able to figure out a way to do it in the beta 163.

Petoe
12-13-2002, 07:31 PM
Ok. Here's some pictures. I hope you can figure something out.

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.angelfire.com/space/mmdwr/3.jpg
This is a picture of layer 1. I'm using fog so I don't have to draw the downstairs again.

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.angelfire.com/space/mmdwr/2.jpg
This is a picture of layer 2 with a pile of some kind of grab that you can slash away with only the white sword.

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.angelfire.com/space/mmdwr/1.jpg
This is the final screen...

VEL
12-13-2002, 08:27 PM
I hope I can explain this good. To do it in beta 163, the item you slash cannot be on a layer. You need to put the item on layer 0, so the slashable block will not be on the girder layer, and the girder layer (and any others) will have to have a hole, over where the block will be. If you use any of those layers on more than one screen you might have to make an extra one for this screen.

I'm not sure if I explained it good enough, but if I understand what you are trying to do, it is possible in the current version.

Petoe
12-13-2002, 08:50 PM
...leave a hole...THAT'S IT!!! I GOT IT. THANKS ALOT!:D :kawaii: