PDA

View Full Version : Do cats dream?

Xyvol
12-10-2002, 12:59 AM
I was just sitting here at my computer when my little kitten, whom was asleep in the room, suddenly woke up and started crying. She got up, came over and jumped into my lap, meowing all the way. Of course when I started petting her she stoped meowing and started purring. But I wonder what that was all about. Did she have a kitty nightmare? What sort of things would a cat have dreams or nightmares about?

zora man
12-10-2002, 01:02 AM
Cats are weird and I have a cat that does nothing but sleep.
Sometimes she will stir when she is sleeping but I am sure she is having some sorta dream.

Rijuhn
12-10-2002, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty sure animals dream, but what they actually visualize, I'm not sure. There has been many occasions where my dog will be asleep and then you can see her eyes moving rapidly under her eyelids, and then her front paws will jump, and she's start to faintly bark. It's so cute because you hear a little "buff","puff", "boof", "flarf" every once in awhile. Then she usually wakes up and looks around in confusing, and then stretches and goes back to sleep...aww!!!

Jigglysaint
12-10-2002, 01:14 AM
If it lives, it dreams. The only thing that is stopping us from knowing the truth is that animals can't exactly put into words what they see. I think that any creature which is capable of conciousness is capable of dreaming. If it can think in any degree, it can dream.

christiankhs
12-10-2002, 10:40 AM
yes. the dog has show that it loves .

Saffith
12-10-2002, 12:59 PM
A cat has extremely limited knowledge beyond its daily life, so I imagine that's what they generally dream about. They may sometimes have dreams where they can fly or such. They may dream of being in a strange place that they don't consciously remember, which is probably pretty scary. Beyond that, it's harder to say. Cats know very little about how the world works, so I expect anything beyond their own experience would be mostly random, even more so than human dreams.

Breaker
12-10-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
If it lives, it dreams. The only thing that is stopping us from knowing the truth is that animals can't exactly put into words what they see. I think that any creature which is capable of conciousness is capable of dreaming. If it can think in any degree, it can dream.

What if you're born completely blind...?

The Desperado
12-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
If it lives, it dreams. The only thing that is stopping us from knowing the truth is that animals can't exactly put into words what they see.

Personally, i think that if an animal is putting anything into words, what he dreams about is the least of our worries. ;)

moocow
12-10-2002, 03:00 PM
My dog has dreams all the time.

She'll be laying on the floor, asleep, and she'll start kicking her legs as if she's running, and she'll snort and whine and cry and stuff. We have to wake her up cause it will either get annoying, or she'll wake up all scared and she'll hide in my room for the rest of the day.

Jigglysaint
12-10-2002, 03:47 PM
If you are born blind, most likely you will dream in sounds or colours(maybe?). Dreams are made up of leftover thoughts from the day. Since most of us use our five senses in real life, we use them in our dreams too. If we can't hear anything, I would expect our dreams are silent. If a dog can't talk, the dog won't dream about people talking. The only exceptions might be in the case of a prophacy in which things that are not on the persons mind might be brought up.