PDA

View Full Version : I call upon the dark powers...

ctrl-alt-delete
12-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Hey everyone. I'm on my sister's computer. I figured you geniuses out there could help me out. I live in the middle of Oklahoma, and the ice storms went through last week if you recall. Well, our electricity never went out during the storm. Last Friday, after the storm was wayyyyy gone, I went to school. My computer was on at the time. Well, when I got home, my computer was off..... Not thinking about it, I tried to turn it on. No such luck...Anyways, I used another computer plug, outlet, etc., and nothing would work. The jerks at Gateway want me to send it to a Gateway store for them to fix it. I asked my dad that day, and the electricity had went out for like 30 minutes. I do have a surge protector though. Any ideas what could be wrong??? :confuse2:

Menokh
12-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Try another surge protector.

If that doesn't work I'm going to guess(I am not confident about this, I could be wrong) that your power supply unit died somehow, and needs replacing.

As I said I could be wrong, try the surge protector thing first if you haven't already, and wait for other people to reply.

Paradox
12-09-2002, 11:02 PM
did you somehow bump your computer so something inside came loose? that happened to me once and it didn't turn on.

ctrl-alt-delete
12-09-2002, 11:10 PM
I already tried a new surge protector. My mom is going to go buy a more expensive one when we get our computer back. As a word of advice, never EVER get a Gateway. I swear to God you will regret it. I'll explain later. As usual, I am doing something outside of AGN. Maybe someday I can be exclusive again...lol

(EDIT) No, I didn't bump into it. It is the power supply more than likely. I need a new computer...Gateway is trash. Someday, I will make a three page post of why my computer sucks so bad, just so you guys can feel good about yourselves...

DarkDragon
12-09-2002, 11:24 PM
If the power supply is fried, so, unfortunately, in all likelyhood is everything else.

When you try to turn on your computer, is there any kind of whirring at all, or is it dead silent?

ctrl-alt-delete
12-09-2002, 11:49 PM
When I plug it in you can hear this buzz sound for a sec, but then nothing at all. Not another sound to be heard. (OT) You didn't say boogalie boogalie boo...(OT/)

Mini-Me
12-09-2002, 11:53 PM
This happened to a computer at my school.. My friend and I took it apart and after about 5 days of working on it inbetween classwork, he figured out it was a short where the fan was and for some reason wouldn't work w/o it... weird... Just be really quiet and softly turn it on. Then throw a book on the table. :D If it turns on, you know it's a short... or u could just look inside for one...

...worked for us!!

ctrl-alt-delete
12-10-2002, 12:03 AM
I probably won't go to school Wednesday. There's a chance it might be tomorrow. Either way, I will write a looooooooooong story of why dude, you should get a Dell. Never get a Gateway. Trust me at least until I can tell you why. ;) Man, this is the most I've posted on one day for months. lol

DarkDragon
12-10-2002, 12:06 AM
Yeah, you should definitely open it up. First thing to check is if the fan in either the power source or the processor turn on. If the processor fan turns on but not the power source fan, your computer overheated and you're screwed (happened to me once, had to replace hard drive and memory - processor and motherboard was ok, surprisingly...); if neither turns on, your power source is shot and you have a 90% chance of being screwed. If you have another computer, take the power source you know works and swap it in for the dead one, and pray - I should warn you however that if you do this procedure and don't install the new power source correctly you could fry your motherboard and possibly make things worse, so maybe it's better to just ship it off to gateway after all...

ctrl-alt-delete
12-10-2002, 12:12 AM
Trust me...My chances would be better slamming it against a wall. lol

zora man
12-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Heh I am 15 and like in Oklahoma too.:)
Hmmm...Have you no wait...well I suggest you just hit the thing that will fix er up.:)
Good luck with those bastards at gateway.:)