PDA

View Full Version : Freefrom dungeons

Zaggarum
12-09-2002, 10:08 PM
How do you make dungeons withought doors. When I try to make these, link will dissapear for a sec, and then return as if going under the door. plus, there are invisible walls wher you may try to walk. Do you just make the dungeons as a cave D-map type?

ShadowTiger
12-10-2002, 12:33 AM
Yep. You have to make it a Cave-Style map. If you've been playing DoY, you may have noticed that it has no map whatsoever, not even in the subscreen, not even in that little map in the upper left hand corner.

Hey Zagg, I gave you the password to TP. Why don't you go check out L3 and 5? They're both freeform.

Zaggarum
12-10-2002, 12:36 AM
Thanks BH4 :highfive: (like that Smiley)

ShadowTiger
12-10-2002, 09:03 AM
:laughing: :highfive: It's a great smily.

You have the password, so go straight to map #5. L3 is on the bottom of that map. L5 is on map 8, I think. L7 is on map #10, but it's not even close to being finished. Take any midis you need, though you probably might have them all already.

Zaggarum
12-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks i will check when I get home :D

DarkFlameWolf
12-10-2002, 04:46 PM
and to do some things dungeons can do that caves cannot, you're going to have to switch back and forth between dmap dungeon types in the same map.

Petoe
12-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Making freeform dungeons is really annoying, and I always forget to do what DFW said: "you're going to have to switch back and forth between dmap dungeon types in the same map." It causes a lot of bugs and slows my quest making process. :redface:

I want those lock blocks now!!:cry:

Zaggarum
12-10-2002, 06:20 PM
It would be nice to see if beta 179 will have a new map type "Freeform dungeons".

ShadowTiger
12-12-2002, 04:16 PM
Oh yeah. That would be nice.

And Petoe, not to contradict you or anything, but switching between them really isn't too hard. The rooms are still on the same map, and you can blend them perfectly between the cave type dungeon, and the dungeon type dungeon. The only thing that actually will change is the ability to use doors and keys and stuff, and the non-perpendicularity of the sides. Perhaps I should try to make one of these.

Petoe
12-12-2002, 05:35 PM
You're right, BH4, it's not hard. But I usually build my quest very late and when I'm tired I tend to make stupid mistakes...:computer: :sleep: :shrug:

Zaggarum
12-13-2002, 12:58 AM
Why not make quests earlier? Anyway I am making all my dungeson freefrom. Believe it or not, every dungeon will have freeform.

raptorscyther
12-13-2002, 01:39 AM
Freeform is really good, from what ive learnt, you can sorta mask link going under "nothing" by putting a tile there.
Ive made a half freeform dungeon using the dungeon dmap type and used that trick, however, it is limited to the left and right screens of the dungeon room only. The top and bottom have an invisible wall.

But when we get lockblocks.... oh yeah, lots of possibilities there...

Verbatim
12-13-2002, 06:41 PM
With layers you can fake doors on cave Dmaps...so you can put doors off-center by using a cave Dmap for that screen, and switch the player to a dungeon Dmap version of the level when you need locked doors and shutters...and by using cave Dmaps, you don't always have to use that trick for putting something there that it makes sense for Link to walk under.

Freeform has made some progress since you were around last...but of course, that trick for making no-door passages is still a nice one, since it is hard work switching between cave and dungeon Dmaps...especially if you want the subscreen map to work right.

By careful use of the new map features (which allow you to set screens to always show up as being previously visited even if the player has never been to them) you can do that, by making the screens he'll have visited before switching dmaps show as visited, but it's not easy, it requires a Dmap each time you switch Dmap types (with separate ones for when they back-track)...and means you have to force the player to visit all the rooms he could visit before switching Dmaps...lockblocks and shutter-door combos (if those are also added) will be much nicer.