PDA

View Full Version : Place doors anywhere

Jax24
12-09-2002, 07:52 PM
I figured it out finally, :D in olrder to place a door anywhere in the dungeon (not Shutter or locked, I need help there) you simply draw it where you want it and make the tile that goes above the door the ground and then make the actual tile thats supposed to go there, in layer 3. there you got a perfectly customisable door:grad:

raptorscyther
12-09-2002, 08:11 PM
For shutters, you could use flags and a trigger, but if you come back in from the shutter you went thru, the screen flags are reset making link look like he goes right through the shutter. ( and he does :odd: )

And as far as I know, there will be lock blocks in the next beta release so you can place a locked door anywhere. There can only be 1 lock block at a time though.

idontknow
12-09-2002, 10:07 PM
everytime i hear about this "lock block", i think about the SNL skit with Darral Hammond and Will Farril as Al Gore and George Bush where they talk about a "Lock Box"...hehehe..i love that show...anyways...yeah, i love these ideas...

KJAZZ
12-11-2002, 03:15 AM
Yeah, this is how most people are going about doing it..The DMAP Dungeon is pretty much useless now, The Cave DMAP is superior. The only way it could be better is if DN added Drag/Drop Object Support which would include doors, but that won't happen, and I don't care if it does or doesn't, I'm just happy we have Lock Blocks. And idontknow, for your problem with hearing Lock Box, just call them "Key Blocks." That's another name for them.

Ganonator
12-11-2002, 04:49 AM
woah.. epiphany...

the question to determine whether or not Dungeon DMAPs are out is how many people will draw their own dungeons with freeform vs. the current system. I think it looks better when dungeons don't use doors EVERYWHERE... but that's in a 4 walled room. castles, such as Cyclone's, are just awesome, period.

raptorscyther
12-11-2002, 05:09 AM
Hang on, Wait a second...

The new lock block feature will be very very cool however, it just occurred to me that freeform locked doors are only going to be able to be placed on the left and right walls of a dungeon as the "walk to next screen part of the door" itself uses "1" tile.
The doors on the upper and lower walls of a dungeon use 2 tiles for the actual "walk to next screen part of the door". Unless, using a key on a block gets rid of all lock block combos on a screen (there fore creating a passage to the next room, not half a passsage), placing freeform locked doors on the upper and lower walls of the dungeon would be impossible without leaving half the door still there.

I hope you get what I mean here..

ShadowTiger
12-11-2002, 09:05 AM
But remember, that in a Dungeon Dmap, you actually can only have 1 official door per wall, but the passage can be anywhere on the wall if you set that wall as a wall instead of a passage, but if you set the wall as a passage and then try to draw in a door somewhere else and replace the official door with pictures of a wall, in the quest, that picture will open up into a door. And that looks REALLY messed up. :rolleyes: So if you want a door in the wrong place, make sure to make that a wall instead of a door, then draw in the door. I've made this mistake lots of times in my earlier ZQuest days. Make sure you remember this one.

VEL
12-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by raptorscyther
Hang on, Wait a second...

The new lock block feature will be very very cool however, it just occurred to me that freeform locked doors are only going to be able to be placed on the left and right walls of a dungeon as the "walk to next screen part of the door" itself uses "1" tile.
The doors on the upper and lower walls of a dungeon use 2 tiles for the actual "walk to next screen part of the door". Unless, using a key on a block gets rid of all lock block combos on a screen (there fore creating a passage to the next room, not half a passsage), placing freeform locked doors on the upper and lower walls of the dungeon would be impossible without leaving half the door still there.

I hope you get what I mean here..

When you activate 1, all the ones on the screen disappear.
Here is what DN said.

10. Added a new combo type: Lock Block. Acts like a door. Can only use one per screen, though. When you push on it a little and have a key, it will change to the next combo in the combo buffer, as will any other lock block on the screen. This allows you to create lock blocks as large as you want (you can have large, intricate doors, if you choose). This even works on layers.

ShadowTiger
12-11-2002, 04:23 PM
How does it work on layers?

raptorscyther
12-11-2002, 08:43 PM
When you activate 1, all the ones on the screen disappear.

You rippa (means great!), thanks for the good news, now I can sleep a little easier.

It will probably work on layers as "I think", there is flag support for layers, so a lock block must be a flag.
Otherwise its a combo and you can have a normal combo on a layer.

Verbatim
12-12-2002, 06:29 PM
They're combos (As in "Added a new combo type" :rolleyes: ). Just put the lock block combos anywhere you want to, on any layer, and they'll all change to the next combo in the combo list (like pound combos do) when you unlock any one of them.

Jax24
12-16-2002, 09:35 PM
wow! that makes a lot of possibilities for secrets