PDA

View Full Version : Never blame the murderous mobs...

Starkist
12-09-2002, 02:30 AM
"The chief organizer, Julia Morley, 63, widow of the founder of the Miss World contest, said the pageant bore no responsibility for the violence. She pointed out that the rioting had occurred in another city than the one where the show was to be held and said it was the fault of the journalist who wrote the article that incited the rioting."

The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/08/international/europe/08WORL.html?ex=1039928400&en=ccd5038f878f999b&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE) (Emphasis added)

Menokh
12-09-2002, 03:12 PM
In the USA, if I were to go to a crowded city square and do something that incited a riot, I would be blamed for causing the deadly riot. The rioters act as a group mind, humans are panicky animals, we will freak out over small things, and more so in large numbers.

While I admit that this case is abit different, this riot would never have started if it hadn't been for journalistic irresponsibility.

Yes the rioters should share most of the blame, but the journalist had to have known how sensitive the situation was in that country.

Starkist
12-09-2002, 05:19 PM
What the journalist wrote is likely to be true.... Mohammad had a certain appreciation for women, young and old.

Jigglysaint
12-09-2002, 05:29 PM
This is proof that sometimes the truth can irk people to become murderous mobs.

I know that it was because of people back in the mid 1840's who were litterly drunk with hatred for the Latter-Day Saints, that they martyred Joseph Smith and his brother. The difference here was that what the jouralist wrote was a flame towards Islam, while the Saints were perecuted because other religions wanted them dead because they were offended by their teachings. Sometimes just being who you are is enough for people to justify your death.

Starkist
12-09-2002, 05:32 PM
That comparison is not quite perfect. Joseph Smith had been involved in a few illegal activites back in Missouri if I recall correctly. Was he not in jail when the mob killed him? I will have to go read about it again...

Anyway, the news media likes to call the riots "religious violence" and whatnot. They never bring up the fact that is was Muslims killing people, they try to imply that Muslims and Christians were both to blame.

Jigglysaint
12-09-2002, 05:44 PM
He was in jail because people kept trying to convict him on bogus charges. Basically he was arrested because others wanted his group to die or just get lost. Besides, fellon or not, Joseph Smith didn't deserve a mob killing. Nobody derserves such treatment. It is because of mob violence that everything from the Crudades, which hunt, to even the crusifixing of Jesus Christ. I feel inclinced to believe that no person can be a true Christian and participate in a mob of any sort unless they realise what they did and repent. Repentance is allways open, even for those who kill Jesus.

Anyway, Christianity aside, what other examples of mob violence can you find?