PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Universe is back and I can't say that I feel happy about it

zfreak2004
12-07-2002, 09:56 PM
http://www.zelda.com

Click on Zelda Universe, and... SURPRISE... they still haven't fixed their timeline issues. When will nintendo learn to leave detailed storylines and chronology to the fans?

Mak-X
12-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Yes... I wish they would at least get Zelda II: The Adventure of Link right. Ah well, nothing I can do about it but ignore it and know that its fake. They're going to have to change all of that with Miyamoto and Aonuma's recent interview where they came out and said there is more than 1 Link, and The Wind Waker takes place 100 years after Ocarina of Time, or they'll really sink deeper.

http://66.28.159.187/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2269

Warlock
12-07-2002, 10:27 PM
You know, someone should e-mail them.. not as a Zelda expert or something, just kind of say "Hey, your site says there is only one Link, but in a recent interview they said there were many Links.." Maybe even a "Which one is right?" to sound innocent..

I just wonder if you would get a reply to that :D I'm thinking if you don't e-mail as a Zelda expert, maybe they wouldn't shrug it off as some crazy fan theory or something and ignore the e-mail.

Mak-X
12-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Yeah and, "I'm having trouble playing The Adventure of Link for NES. I can't find the crystals anywhere but I need them to beat the palaces. I looked and looked. Your site says I have to retrieve them from the palaces, where are they?"

Actually, I think I'll write to Nintendo Power with that question. That's the only place to really right to for them to answer that kind of stuff besides the customer service e-mail.

Warlock, here's what Dan Owsen had to say about Zelda Universe back when the original one was up.

(Camp Hyrule)

"Q: The zelda series has had many chapters and different storylines. My question is how do all the games fit into one story line? Or do the zelda games span many different timelines with different decendents of link and zelda? Is Ganon the same person in each time line?

Username - Hypercoyote
Cabin # - 7

A: Ah yes, my favorite non-issue topic -- the storyline of the Zelda games. We probably spurred a lot of questions by posting our theory on the game order on zelda.com. I'd like to clarify some points on that story. First, I don't think that anywhere on the site it said, "This is the Official Ordering! There shall be no other ordering of the Zelda games anywhere, ever! So let it be written so let it be done!!" It's a theory that was created by Nintendo online staff. It's not endorsed or approved by Mr. Miyamoto. However, all that being said, it is based on conversations that I've had with some of the Zelda developers and scenario writers, and a lot of thought went into it. It makes as much sense (or more) than other theories on the Internet. And I have read a lot of them. The fact is, there is not, nor is there likely ever to be, a unified Zelda story. I've said this before, the Zelda developers do not want to create such a story that might limit their creativity in future games. It's that simple. One of the greatest things about the Zelda series is the games leave a lot to the player's imagination. The whole story isn't spelled out for you -- you need to think about it and believe whatever you want to believe."

Other theories he mentions that he's read on the internet, no offense to it, but that ZHQ timeline that I've found on most Zelda websites is probably one he's talking about, which includes stuff like the comics, cartoons, cd-i games, a date system... so I can understand if that's what he's talking about with other theories... but still it was just wrong. The Official Nintendo Player's Guide for Ocarina of Time even includes the same information that Zelda Universe had, a book you buy, especially Zelda 2.

I'm going to write to Nintendo Power now with that question. I know TSA already sent them a letter.

Warlock
12-07-2002, 10:35 PM
hahaha.. that would be hilarious

Mak-X
12-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Warlock, how's this?

Hi Nintendo Power. I just bought a old Zelda game, Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link for the old NES and I was having problems with the game. I can't find the crystals anywhere but I need them to beat the palaces. On your new Zelda website it says 'Gather six shards of the magic crystal and wake princess zelda from her unnatural slumber.' but I cannot find them anywhere. I looked and looked. How do I get the crystals?

I also got lucky and the Zelda 2 game came with a instcruction book and the story seems really different than the one you have on your Zelda site. In the book it says the wizard dude died after he casted the spell, and Link has to go to the great temple to get the triforce of courage where he will be tested. The book looks official but I'm not sure, did I get ripped off with a phony instruction book? How come the manual is different?

Thanks for you help! I like your magazine a lot and it seems better than ever now!

Mak

Fiyerstorm
12-07-2002, 11:48 PM
That sound like something I would write to them, Mak...

Tygore
12-08-2002, 12:38 AM
The "official" encyclopedia left out Subrosians!

stormwatcheagle
12-08-2002, 12:58 AM
the hell... Multiple Links? I'm glad im not a Zelda fan...

Menokh
12-08-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
the hell... Multiple Links? I'm glad im not a Zelda fan...

It's not that confusing, anymore.

Way back in 1991(or was it 1992?), when LttP came out, it said on the back of the box that the game involved Link and Zelda's ancestors.
It was more recently that the idea of that being false came about, and the Zelda.com had thier timeline with one Link adding more confusion.

With this recent interview, Nintendo of Japan has confirmed that there are in fact multiple Links.

Each Link is apparently a decendant of the previous Link, it is not that different from the idea in other games involving multiple generations of heroes with the same name.

Kurairyu
12-08-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Mak-X
Warlock, how's this?

Hi Nintendo Power. I just bought a old Zelda game, Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link for the old NES and I was having problems with the game. I can't find the crystals anywhere but I need them to beat the palaces. On your new Zelda website it says 'Gather six shards of the magic crystal and wake princess zelda from her unnatural slumber.' but I cannot find them anywhere. I looked and looked. How do I get the crystals?

I also got lucky and the Zelda 2 game came with a instcruction book and the story seems really different than the one you have on your Zelda site. In the book it says the wizard dude died after he casted the spell, and Link has to go to the great temple to get the triforce of courage where he will be tested. The book looks official but I'm not sure, did I get ripped off with a phony instruction book? How come the manual is different?

Thanks for you help! I like your magazine a lot and it seems better than ever now!

Mak
Thats a bit too intellegent for the average Nintendo Power writer.

stormwatcheagle
12-08-2002, 02:57 AM
And they all look the same? That helps. Where does seasons and Ages fall in then?

Menokh
12-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
And they all look the same? That helps. Where does seasons and Ages fall in then?

I'd guess right before Link's Awakening.
Since the ship at the end of the oracle games seems to be the same ship as in the beggining on LA. Not much to go by, since no one has said anything official about when the oracle games take place. That would would mean the oracle games have the same hero as LttP.

matthew986
12-08-2002, 03:48 PM
In my opinion FF is much more screwed up than Zelda. Atleast in Zelda we know they all take place on the same planet.

Mak-X
12-08-2002, 08:16 PM
It's a nice way to have creative freedom while using the exact same characters each time. Also notice, that although Oracle of Ages and Seasons feature characters from Ocarina of Time, they are descendants. Malon, Talon, Ingo, windmill guy, happy mask salesman, they all are Humans, not Hylian, with round ears. A nice little detail they payed attention to.

I'd agree about what Menokh said about Oracles. Link looks the same from A Link to the Past, only a different style, and it fits in nicely with Ganon's death in the previous game, and the ship at the end that is the exact one from Link's Awakening.

Although Oracles does bring back the prophecy thing about a hero arising, and it could be another generation of Link, but I thought Link leaving on a ship from Link's Awakening on the ocean, from Hyrule, was fairly blantant.

It's a work of fiction, so they can do what they want to make a game.

link
n.
One of the rings or loops forming a chain.

A unit in a connected series of units: links of sausage; one link in a molecular chain.
A unit in a transportation or communications system.
A connecting element; a tie or bond: grandparents, our link with the past.

An association; a relationship: The Alumnae Association is my link to the school's present administration.
A causal, parallel, or reciprocal relationship; a correlation: Researchers have detected a link between smoking and heart disease.

I think with Final Fantasy its because the games don't go together, unless there's some small detail like them taking place years and years apart from each other.

The storyline for Zelda should be

Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask - A Link to the Past - Oracle of Seasons - Oracle of Ages - Link's Awakening - The Legend of Zelda - The Adventure of Link

The Wind Waker takes place 100 years after Ocarina of Time, although I'd rather play it first then definitely say where it takes place, because there's a puzzling thing Miyamoto and Anomua said about time periods. Also, the Four Swords should be a sequel to The Wind Waker, if its not apparent to some now, I think everyone will realize once both games are out.