PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Urgent!!

Foxy
12-07-2002, 01:01 PM
How do I hook up a laptop to my Road Runner connection and make it so that the internet will work on the laptop? I'm not using a network, I'm just taking the road runner from my computer and switching it over to the laptop. I know it has something to do with changing the IP address or port settings or something...but I'm clueless.

Can anyone help me, in plain english, to do this?!?!?!

Fiyerstorm
12-07-2002, 01:08 PM
I can't help ya, but there is probably someone who can.

(psssst, sowwy bout the pic!)

gdorf
12-07-2002, 02:12 PM
Edit: Alright, I tried posting a link, but after reading over it again, I found it really wasn't helpful. :shrug:

1.) Connect the cable to your laptop
2.) Goto your control panel either via the Start menu or My Computer
3.) Click on network
4.) Under the configureation tab, go down to the component that says "TCP/IP->" followed by the name of your ehternet card. For instance mine says "TCP/IP-> 3com etherlink 10/100 PCI ...". Click on properties for this component
5.) Under the IP Adress tab, check off Obtain IP address automatically
6.) Restart windows

If this doesn't work you may need some more information from your desktop computer to continue. Try going to the properties for it's ethernet card and writing down the Gateway, IP Adress, or any other settings that seem significant.

I have windows98, so it might be a little different for your version, but hopefully you get the jist of it. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions, Good luck!

Foxy
12-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Thank you Gdorf :) It worked :D

gdorf
12-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Sure thing, Glad I could help. :tongue: