PDA

View Full Version : volcanoe

idontknow
12-06-2002, 11:38 PM
whats the best way to simulate a volcanoe in your quest?...i think that perhaps there should be a seperate forum for suggesting different approaches to creating things in your quest/giving hints/tips about making quests...because isnt this forum just general questions about using the program itself and the quest announcements is for posting/advertising quest and getting help about actually playing the quest and developer's exchange is for getting actual materials (tiles, midis, etc.)...maybe this should go over the general discussion but i think itd be best to create a new forum..possibly intitled..."Quest Creations (Ideas & Tips)"...what do ya think?

DarkSFK
12-07-2002, 11:29 AM
That idea has been suggested by DC before....

As for your question, how else would you do it other than animation? Make some boiling lava tiles for the hole in the top. Have them oh say.... 100-140 tiles long. Then, make tiles that shoot into the air, having them be about 20-40 tiles long, so it doesnt erupt every 5 seconds. That's probably the best way to do it... you can make the bubbling lava longer or shorter if you want.

Zaggarum
12-07-2002, 12:19 PM
Having a quest with a volcanoe isn't hard, just use lava tile. It depends on how you want the screen to look.

Praethus
12-08-2002, 03:30 AM
Aren't tile animations limited to 99 tiles?

Cloral
12-08-2002, 05:21 PM
I believe so.
And yes, the question is how you want the volcano to look. Do you just want a cave with lava and fire? Do you want an outside that looks like a volcano? Do you want that volcano to be erupting, which would be the hardest to implement by far?

In my group quest, there is a volcano on the far west edge of the map. It consists of a steep mountain with a circular indentation at the top. There is a cave into it that leads to a lava filled cavern. This sort of thing is most likely what you would be wanting to do.

idontknow
12-08-2002, 09:39 PM
yeah, i think thats what i want..i what a visual of it from both the outside (overworld) and from the inside, where the lava is and stuff...also, how would i simulate heat in it...like how would i show it physcially and how would should i make it effect Link?...(a screen completely filled with damage combos possibly...would that be a good idea)

Cloral
12-09-2002, 03:36 AM
Only if you give the player the chance to get the boots first. Forcing the player to walk over damage combos generally isn't a good idea as they affect Link's movement too much.

If you're looking for lava, try the BS tileset. If you don't like that lava, try asking on the developer exchange forum to see if anyone's got any better.

ShadowTiger
12-09-2002, 09:12 AM
I know that Blckscab has some pretty darn good volcano paraphernalia (whatever that is. :sweat: ) in his quest "Shadows of Evil 1.92" It's in the NW corner of the first overworld, but you need the flippers first. It's a really good quest regardless. Go there to find some good tiles.