PDA

View Full Version : Spinter Cell for the GC

EWild
12-05-2002, 08:24 PM
Well today I went to the mall, and talked to Brian, one of the guys who work at my EB, and I asked for the sheet that had all the announced Cube games. So while I was scrolling down the list, there, it was, Splinter Cell. It's also coming out for the PS2. So that makes two X-Box exclusives that aren't exclusives.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/369/369565p1.html

matthew986
12-05-2002, 08:28 PM
Yeah I saw that too. I doubt it plays as well as the Xbox version, that seems to be the flagship console.

Maverick_Zero
12-05-2002, 08:31 PM
Although the game does look good, I'll probably rent it, like I always do.

Dart Zaidyer
12-05-2002, 08:32 PM
There may be no power greater than X, but there IS a greater thunder. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the PS2 and GameCube.

Thunderbird
12-05-2002, 10:04 PM
Splinter Cell is an Xbox exclusive until the end of this year. After that Ubi-Soft is free to release the game for other platforms.

Grasshopper
12-05-2002, 10:54 PM
I assume the other game you were talking about was Dead to Rights? That was also only exclusive for 6 months or so I believe. The front of the box for DTR doesn't even say "XBOX Only" Splinter Cell on the other hand, I'm sure, but it's one awesome looking game. :drool:

zables
12-06-2002, 02:20 AM
Man, thats cool news. Splinter Cell looks incredible...
Finally Tom Clancey has made soemthign thats completely different than his 800 Rainbow 6/Rogue spear/ Ghost Recon Games
Amen. :)

Cronic
12-06-2002, 12:21 PM
It's not a very good game... not one I'd call great anyway... It looks great, but feels (like every other Clancy game) like shit, The controls are too lite and underdeveloped.

DarkDragoonX
12-06-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
... It looks great, but feels (like every other Clancy game) like shit, The controls are too lite and underdeveloped.

Thank you. Clancy's books are dull enough, and the games based off his works are even WORSE.

Cronic
12-06-2002, 12:27 PM
yup, the gun fire is just cheesy as well.

Warlock
12-06-2002, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I never really understood why all those Tom Clancy video games got such praise. They've never looked all that interesting to me.

Cronic
12-06-2002, 01:57 PM
Well the atention to covert ops details and millatary precedures (the ones made public ;) ) are usually top notch, but for the love of god they just suck ass.

Kinda like if THQ were producing them =)

Grasshopper
12-07-2002, 01:03 AM
*sigh* I hated the previous Tom Clancey games....I was sorta hoping this one would be cool. And it looked so good. *sigh*

Cronic
12-07-2002, 01:24 AM
well look at it this way... More ideas for the next Metal Gear =)

War Lord
12-09-2002, 01:09 AM
The Tom Clancy Games own.
I played the hell out of Rainbow Six.
ANd am currently playing Ghost recon and it's expansions.

Cronic
12-09-2002, 01:21 AM
Well there you have it folks... The one in a million Clancy fan ;)

Seriously it takes a special breed to wade through all the horrid physics to find those games enjoyable.

War Lord
12-09-2002, 02:11 AM
It's realistic...
A lot of people try to go in treating it as a first person shooter, die a lot, and quit.
It's more a strategy game with some FPS in there for good measure.

Cronic
12-09-2002, 02:18 AM
In my opinion it would be a spectacular series if there was a better physics engine... for example when you shoot I couldn't sense the re-coil... that portion as well as general movement killed the realism... Metal gear has spoiled me in the way of gun fire I suppose.

That and I've never liked having to organize an A.I. controlled team.

AlexMax
12-09-2002, 11:18 AM
I am willing to give Splinter Cell a chance if they don't fuck up the port.

All too often, however, (with a few exceptions, Dead To Rights, and MK 5, for example) developers fuck up the GC port because they're just trying to get a game out as quickly as possible. Take a look at Jedi Outcast. It was awesome for the computer, (and thusly, the Xbox version, though playing JO on a controller seems silly to me in the first place) but instead of optimizing code for a system (like TS2 did) it simply ported it and hoped people would buy it. Sad...

I've heard much talk about Splinter Cell, and if it sucks, it had better damn well be because the origional sucked as well, not because of a shitty port.

(Not that I will care taht much, I still have a major portion of Metroid Prime to go)

Maverick_Zero
12-09-2002, 06:59 PM
I did like Rainbow Six, and I do like Clancy books as well. Although, Rainbow Six wasn't exactly my favorite game. :)