PDA

View Full Version : Curious about the Zelda storyline? It was true all along.

Mak-X
12-05-2002, 01:10 AM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

http://66.28.159.187/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=29337#post29337

http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=31137766

The interview is Insider only but some forum members posted some bits on the IGN Zelda board.

"In our opinion, with Zelda there is always a new Link. A new Link always arises when there is evil." - Eiji Aonuma

"In terms of story, we've decided that this takes place more than 100 years after the events in Ocarina of Time. We think as you play the game you will find hints of things that existed in Ocarina of Time." - Eiji Aonuma

The Zelda series is made up of several generations of Heros, all named Link. There is not 1 One hero Link as was said in the fake Zelda Universe site (previous Zelda.com), but mulitple generations. This is now clear :)

This is also very apparent when you play the new A Link to the Past for Game Boy Advance with its revised script.

Nintendo Power magazine 1991
http://members.aol.com/captiann64/zelda/npv27aug91.jpg

Electronic Gaming Monthly 1998
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/mak/zelda/egmzelda101.html

Why is this so important for Zelda? Because the idea had been used before, but some thought it was 1 Link, other several Links, now the people behind the games come out with it directly.

Warlock
12-05-2002, 01:28 AM
I saw that :D I was very happy, esp. with those dumbasses at Zelda.com claiming there was only one Link. I would imagine this will also help to place LTTP (I will have to check out the new script and see if there are any real clues), since Dan Owesen (sp?) was so adament that it came after Zelda 2..

Zaggarum
12-05-2002, 01:36 AM
My personal belief is that their are three Links, one from the NES games, two from LA and Lttp and 3 (which is the first one) on the N64. This link must be the last link. The one from NES. He is the most mysterious because he came from the land of Caltia. I think thas what it's call. This could be taking place before Zelda 1. Now that I mention it, (don't know how to spell his name) the creater of Zelda said in an interveiw that it would be taking place before Zelda 1. Look it up in the of the recent Nintendo Powers.

Mak-X
12-05-2002, 01:42 AM
What? I have not read anything about The Wind Waker taking place near The Legend of Zelda 1. What Nintendo Power issue was it?

The Wind Waker takes place 100 years after Ocarina of Time.

Catalia was only in the Valiant Comics. The main reason I don't trust that as a reliable source is because the way in which I think those comics were made compared to the more recent Zelda manga. Most of the stuff in those Valiant comics were basically stories made up to make plots to do comics on, like Day of the Triforce, and that thing where Link becomes Ganon, they don't fit with the games.

On the other hand, the part about Link's parents (OoT) in comics, there are 2 seperate comics that give a similar story, and they are more true to the games.

I think Dan Owsen got himself confused with a statment by Miyamoto. Miyamoto said Ocarina, Zelda 1, Zelda 2, A Link to the Past. Link's Awakening was a dream so it can go anywhere. I'm not really sure this is true and that's what he meant.

Warlock, check the bottom of this page for a funny joke about Zelda Universe if you haven't seen it. Its a shame that the Ocarina of Time Nintendo Player's Guide featured similar information. That's actually a scan of what that book said for Zelda 2, compared to a old Nintendo Fun Club newsletter. The new A Link to the Past guide, while not featuring much at all in story except what is written on www.zelda.com , is a gigantic improvment. The new ALttP guide book is awesome, but it could use more artwork and maybe a couple more story spots, but I can't complain if it keeps Zelda Universe stuff away, which is now dead I hope forever.
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/index.html

Zaggarum
12-05-2002, 01:45 AM
Hmm... I can't take all this confusing timeline stuff. :angry: :banghead: We really need an official timeline and it explained. Still, I say the Link in Wind Waker is one of the three Links so far.

matthew986
12-05-2002, 07:36 PM
You say that without even playing the finished game? And Mak, what is your evidence that LttP takes place last in the series? I never really understood that. I have always believed AoL is the last game in the series (so far).

Maverick_Zero
12-05-2002, 09:00 PM
I don't think the Oracles, and Link's Awakening, are part of the same timeline, as the other Zelda games that is.

the_super_cat
12-05-2002, 09:04 PM
Well, I think the chronological order is as such....

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Link to the Past
The Wind Waker
Link's Awakening
Zelda I
Zelda II

and I can't remember where OoA and OoS fit in, since I haven't finished them yet.... heh...

But I think that since Link has a boat and everything, it could very possibly be the same Link as in Link to the Past. Not to mention the fact that LttP's events also transpire about 100 years after that of OoT and MM.

Not that having a boat is any sort of basis for timing things..:lmao:

Dracula
12-05-2002, 09:09 PM
I've grown to understand how the Zelda storyline goes, with different Links in each generation... Playing Castlevania and all...

Mak-X
12-05-2002, 09:15 PM
Exactly Dracula, except in Zelda's case, the characters are still Link and Zelda. The Breath of Fire series is like this with Ryu and Nina, who are in every game.

The boat at the end of Oracles is the exact same boat from Link's Awakening, like it was ripped from the game. The only thing is, although Ganon is already dead, the game sorta starts over, which might just be because its reintroducing the characters. Link's Awakening is the sequel to A Link to the Past. The Oracles would fit nicely between the two games, although not perfectly because of the artstyle and the way the games are.

The whole generation thing explains why in the Oracle games, all of the inhabitants in Holodrum and Labrynna are HUMAN with ROUND ears, especially Guru-Guru (the Windmill man), Malon and Talon and Ingo, the Happy Mask Salesman... Pippen's ancestor's name also being Pippen....

Fiyerstorm
12-05-2002, 11:31 PM
So the old generation Link time period..the "humans" have pointed ears?

Cronic
12-06-2002, 01:28 AM
Heh it's official... I never care to play a Zelda game again...

Zaggarum
12-06-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
Heh it's official... I never care to play a Zelda game again...

:lol: It can be annoying DC. I always gett a little annoyed to know that the timeline is screwed up. No one has given out a official timeline. I should e-mail Nintendo. (even though they won't listen)

Orion
12-06-2002, 04:53 PM
Hmm... I don't mind that theory, but it just seems like Miyamoto is just making up the storyline as he goes, throwing in things where its convenient, no matter how much it throws apart the storyline. They could put forth a little more effort...

the_super_cat
12-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Well, I think that the first game came out without intent of a sequal. Of course, any game that becomes that popular that fast is bound to be continued. I think that the Zelda franchise has been a real shoestring operation through the years. I don't think they've been going for continuity, to be honest. Now that the fans want a cohesive plot, Miyamoto is having to try and think of up the best explanation possible.

I could be wrong, but that is the impression that I get. It certainly seems likely to me.

Ian
12-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Or everyone could check the Zelda Theology thread..... wtf? didn't TSA post that? cause it say's VEL posted it, then ijn the thread, it shows that Mak posted it. Something is really screwed up.

Cronic
12-06-2002, 06:07 PM
I think were they went wrong was by adding a story line in the first place... It should be seperate adventures.

Ian
12-06-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
I think were they went wrong was by adding a story line in the first place... It should be seperate adventures.

But a lot of them have quite a bit to do with each other. NOA really should make an official storyline.

Mak-X
12-06-2002, 08:04 PM
[EDIT] Apparently both Miyamoto and Aonuma talked about the story.

And of course they make it up as they go along, 9 Zelda games weren't planned out back in 1986.

Added a story to the series? Wha? This is new? They've been doing this since 1986, or rather 1987 and then 1991 with The Adventure of Link and A Link to the Past, its nothing new. The only difference now is that people behind the game are saying that each series of games has a different hero, and that the new game takes place 100 years after Ocarina of Time. Why should they be seperate adventures, its not different than Castlevania, Breath of Fire, or Lufia. It makes the Video Games more richer.

Aonuma: In our opinion, with Zelda there is always a new Link. A new Link always arises when there is evil.

Q: Where does Wind Waker fall in the timeline of Zelda series?

Aonuma: In terms of story, we've decided that this takes place more than 100 years after the events in Ocarina of Time. We think as you play the game you will find hints of things that existed in Ocarina of Time.

Aonuma's statment about a new Link always arising when there is evil, your told this in A Link to the Past when the game talks about the Legendary Hero that will be the one to defeat Ganon.

"If a person who has an evil
heart gets the Triforce, a Hero
is destined to appear...
...and he alone must face the
person who began the Great
Cataclysm.

Only a person of the Knights Of
Hyrule, who protected the
royalty of Hylia, can become
the Hero...
You are of their
blood-line, aren't you? Then
you must rescue
Zelda without fail.
"

Also, from Ocarina of Time... Ganondorf's threat was true.

Ganondorf:
"CURSE YOU...ZELDA!

CURSE YOU...SAGES!!

CURSE YOU...LINK!

Someday...
When this seal is broken....
That is when I will exterminate
your descendants!!

As long as the Triforce of Power
is in my hand....

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/mak/zelda/egmzelda101.html

Electronic Gaming Monthly 1998

http://members.aol.com/captiann64/zelda/egmzelda3.jpg http://members.aol.com/captiann64/zelda/egmzelda4.jpg

You can read the Zelda Roundtable discussion interview here on Gamespy
http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/december02/zeldaroundtable/