PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from someone who knows Macintosh computers fairly well

zfreak2004
12-03-2002, 10:44 PM
Our graphic arts class is made up entirely of Macs on a wireless network. Most of the computers have 3 accounts. One for the morning class (us) and one for the afternoon class. Neither the morning or afternoon classes have internet privilages. One of the afternoon users did a little hacking and made a seperate user account with internet privelages. My question is.. any idea how he did it? Our teacher won't care if we figure it out. Btw. we are running Mac OS 10.2.

Menokh
12-04-2002, 12:42 AM
Since MacOS 10 is a UNIX clone, I'm guessing that he found out the root(administrator) password somehow.

I'm not sure if there might have been another way to do it in Os X. I suppose it would be possible that he got a program that did it all for him, things like this are possible on some other UNIXes.

vegeta1215
12-04-2002, 01:13 AM
The default account on OS X is an "administrator" account which let you do common things like install programs. But, if you want to do real administration, you need root access, and by default, the root account isn't even activated.

I'm curious who has permissions to add users on OS X: admins or only root?

Elemental Knight
12-04-2002, 09:22 AM
A friend of mine suggests holding down Shift at startup. He says this works on 9.x and previous versions of Mac, but he has yet to have his way with 10.x. See if that works.

Verman
12-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Holding down shift turns off extenstions on the older macs...I dont have much experiance with OS 10 though other then the fact that it is running on Darwin a Linux clone...And you would probably need root access.