PDA

View Full Version : ARGGGG! StarCraft BattleNet!

KingTut
12-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Alright, I have a problem!!

I own StarCraft, and Broodwar! {Both Originals, not copies} OR I did, until I let a friend borrow my StarCraft disk {Against my better judgement} and now I can only play with Broodwar disk {I don't expect to see my original again}. But that's not the prob. I just wiped the HardDrive, and reinstalled Windows, but before I did I took the original StarCraft Dir. before I wiped the Drive, and put it on a CDRW so I could transfer it, and still play {Since I cuoldn't install again w/o original disk}

I forgot to take into acount that even though I can still play by putting in the BW CD and running the SC EXE. , The Broodwar autorun still says install, not play. and I can't run the install, cause' there's no Registry entry!! Of course I cant play on BNet, or install patches either!!

I thought someone might have a suggestion as how to get up and running with patches and BNet. {I was thinking mabey a CD Crack, or to somehow set up a Reg Entry??I had a similar prob with AOE2, but I got a program to set up a Reg entry so I could patch it, so it must be possoble }

I don't want to fool with the REG too much, {BAD things can happen....}

{By the way, is this game still popular on BNET? It's quite old.}

EWild
12-03-2002, 11:38 AM
It's VERY popular, even though it's old.

KingTut
12-03-2002, 03:16 PM
That's good...... Wish I could play it.......

Ultra22Lemming
12-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Hey the problem is you don't have the cd. So just get a new copy.

Paradox
12-03-2002, 06:47 PM
get your cd back from your friend or buy a new one. they're pretty cheap. or you could get WC3...

KingTut
12-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Getting my copy back is out of the question, It's looooong gone!! {I am 100% positive I won't see it again}

And I don't ant to buy a new 1 when I already own SC and BW, and can probably solve the problem by patching, or getting a Registry entry.

matthew986
12-03-2002, 07:16 PM
Thats why I never let my friends borrow games, if they can find a CD crack Ill install it for them, but never borrow. And why not try downloading SC?

Mak-X
12-03-2002, 08:22 PM
If you really want to play Starcraft, I would just buy new copies of the games. Starcraft (original) should be $20, and the Battlechest should be about $20-$30 that includes Broodwar, Starcraft, and the 2 guides.

Thunderbird
12-03-2002, 11:33 PM
LONG post coming up ;)

Make your way into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Blizzard Entertainment/Starcraft (if any of the folders below software don't exist, create them).

These settings are the way I have SC set up right now. Any numerical values need to be in hexadecimal form (REG_DWORD for WinNT/2K/XP).

bldgnoise = 4
ColorCycle = 1
Gamma = 100
InstallPath = (wherever you put SC)
intro = 0
introX = 2048
(these last two are BW specific, make SURE you set them!)
kscroll = 3
m_kscroll = 3
m_mscroll = 3
mscroll = 3
music = 25
Program = (path to SC EXE)
Retail = "y"
sfx = 50
speed = 5
StarCD = (CDROM drive letter, mine is set to E:)
StarEdit = (Starcraft directory)

I believe that's it :).

KingTut
12-04-2002, 07:32 AM
I have all the other stuff, in the reg, but the install path, and mabey something else {That's what the patch needs}

I not sure if I should create it? I don't ike messing with the reg... Could it hurt if I added a install path?

Any suggestions from Comp. Whizzes.

{I do know how do add a path.... I think. Do you creat a new string, or a new key?}

The other stuff in the registry, comes from running the game, so should creating the install path ETC. allow me to patch, and mabey run the install for BW?

KingTut
12-04-2002, 08:12 AM
Hey!! Could you go in your reg, and exprot the SC entry as a reg file, and upload it or something?? {I just read about that feature in help!

You click registry, and export registry file, and it saves it in Text format, {A "backup copy"}. You can import too.......

* EDIT *

I added the Strings, but I still can't patch or install!

The Patch says

Blizzard PrePatch v2.1 compiled on Sep 27 1999
This program patches Starcraft Broodwar

Log created at 8:44 am on 12/04/2002

Registry error loading key 'Starcraft\InstallPath'
The system cannot find the file specified.

RESULT: Prepatch failed

Masamune
12-04-2002, 04:40 PM
i've had this problem before. when it autoruns, just run it from a different location. like the directory you installed it to.

MottZilla
12-05-2002, 12:11 AM
If worst comes to worst, SC can be aquired new for 10$s.

zables
12-05-2002, 12:56 AM
Tut, i would just buy a new copy,
if your working im sure that 10-20 bucks isnt gonna kill ya...

teddyboy420
12-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Mak-X
If you really want to play Starcraft, I would just buy new copies of the games. Starcraft (original) should be $20, and the Battlechest should be about $20-$30 that includes Broodwar, Starcraft, and the 2 guides.

$20 for StarCraft, really? In both EB and Babbages in the mall by my house, each SC and BR are only $10 sepratley (sp?) and $20 for the Warchest. It's the same for WC 2

Thunderbird
12-05-2002, 01:58 AM
I would have no where to put the reg file. Changing settings in the StarCraft key will not harm your system, unless you make your way to the wrong key.

I will note that I deliberately left one setting out. The Recent Maps value is a binary value, and is not necessary to reput in (chances are you already have it).

If you can, email me an exported reg file (they are text files, so Notepad can open em), and I'll see what you did wrong ;).