PDA

View Full Version : Need help with events?

ShadowTiger
12-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Over Thanksgiving vacation, I managed to finally learn how to do a proper event. So for those of you who have been struggling with it, I'm going to make an attempt to shed some light on it.

The first thing you need is a good reason. A good reason for me is to have a continue point in your dungeon where you don't have to go through an entire linear dungeon to get to the boss. A passage opens up near the start that might send you right to it. It's that kind of thing that I'm stressing right now.

1) Set up a trigger enemy as the last enemy in the room.
2) Put his enemy flag # in the upper left corner of that room.
3) Hit F12 for the enemy flags, and check the bottom enemy, "Boss Room." MAKE SURE NOT TO CHECK "RING LEADER!" Or else when you kill the first enemy, the trigger will die and even the Boss monster will die! :rolleyes: Also, make sure the trigger is THE TOP-MOST enemy, or it will lose rank when the other enemies are dead, and then when all the other enemies are killed except for the trigger, when you return, there will be a non-trigger enemy in there, (Just one.) and if you kill that, it'll trigger the secrets (and events.) for the entire level #. So be very careful.
4) Set up the secrets for that room, place them, etc. And Check Enemies-->Secret in the screen flag box.
5) In the boss room, check boss room as we did above, but don't place a trigger.

When you kill the boss, all the screens with the boss flag on it have their enemies (including the trigger ;) ) destroyed forever, (so long as the boss doesn't regenerate somehow. :shrug: ) and the secret should appear due to the enemies-->secret, which wouldn't happen before due to the trigger enemy still being there.

And I just remembered. Getting the special item from a guy in a special item room also triggers the boss flag, so if you put the fire guy in a room, and he's invisible, and you get the special item from the chest, and you get it, the event is triggered.

I hope that helps.

Teilyr
12-03-2002, 09:30 AM
So, in your example, when you kill the boss, a passage in the entrance opens up and allows you to get to the end of the dungeon without having to go through it again?

ShadowTiger
12-03-2002, 03:45 PM
Um, actually, yes. I'll use The Prophecy as an example. Teilyr, remember in L1 (The Rich man's tent) the room with the button in the corner the you arrive in after getting the fire gem? You can't go back there unless you repeat the entire procedure. But what if I placed an event there, so after you defeat all the black molblins, that would trigger automatically regardless of the button. Heck, I could erase the button altogether! :kawaii: (Although, in demo 5, the connection point is much earlier, in that conveyor room. It actually stays permanent this time.)

Oh yeah. One more thing. You can have one event per level number! So that means that you can make L2 have an event, but assign that to the boss, and assign level # 185 to a mid dungeon connector done via miniboss. That's how I'm doing it right now. So in a sense, you can make the DUNGEON level number a very large number, while the boss itself would probably maintain the proper level #. My L1 is 185, while the boss is L1. And it's done via scoll warps. (Or Tile warps. It's all up to you.)

Events can be your best friend. You just know how to use them. You can do amazing things with them, if you're creative enough. If I could fit TP Demo 5 on a hard disk, I could show you some of the neat things you could do. C-Dawg's DoY is a great example of what you could do. (Specifically, those 2 medallions in the Twilight Gardens. That was done VERY well.)

ShadowTiger
12-11-2002, 08:55 AM
Sorry to double post, but IDK recently found a correction in the event logic. The trigger enemy must always be on TOP of the enemy list, (always enemy #1.) or else another enemy that is over the trigger on the enemy list will take its place when only the trigger is left. Be careful with this one, folks.