PDA

View Full Version : Different Difficulty Modes?

DarkFlameWolf
12-02-2002, 01:07 AM
Well, I was thinking of releasing the standard version of Hidden Duality which should be suitable for most skill levels of most players and then releasing a hard version of the quest. Here are some of my ideas that could make my game harder:
- Eliminate all HC pieces leaving you with only the HC that you get from bosses, of which, there are six, leaving you only with 9 hearts total to be achieved in the hard version.
- 50% of the secret grottos will now be small dungeon rooms with a shutter blocking access back out and forcing you to fight a bunch of enemies to escape and no rewards.
- More enemies in dungeons screens and harders ones that weren't there originally.
- Different bosses for each dungeon. (example: Dungeon 1 is a Aquamentus with 2 shooting statues, in the hard version, it would be a 3 headed Gleeok with 2 shooting statues, etc.)
- No Optional dungeons, or their prizes, leaving you only the required dungeons to complete without a fire boomerang, red ring, master sword, mirror shield or magic key to aid you.
- Have more screens have invisible enemies in dungeons before the one that you get the cross in.
Any other suggestions? Or do you think a hard and a normal mode would be redundant? Or do people want a hardcore game, but I still must have the normal version to satisfy those average players out there? comments!

KJAZZ
12-02-2002, 01:27 AM
"Your world, your rules." ~ Lego Commercial.

Blonde799
12-02-2002, 03:25 PM
Man DFW, now my difficulty selection won't be so original anymore.:p

If you want to add difficulty effectively, here's what I'd do:
1. Have half of the bosses yield HCPs(preferably, the last half before the final boss).
2. Keep the optional areas, but have progression through the normal path depend on the items you get from them.
3. Have extra boss phases, or, add traps and/or smaller enemies.
4. Eliminate all slash->item combos.
5. Have a smaller HP cont. %(This is actually a great factor in making quests difficult).
6. Give an incentive for the hard mode(Extra levels, more items, cheat passwords, better ending, etc.).

ShadowTiger
12-02-2002, 03:46 PM
Sounds ambitious, but we could easily do that in any quest. You could just have two nearly identical quests, only one would have that little "h" for hard mode after it.

So what I was thinking about, to kinda strengthen this thread, was to multiply all enemies' hit point by.... oh say, ... 1.5 or 2? So a Gibdo would have 16, a Ghini 18, A Windrobe would have 24! :eek:

And perhaps when we collect HCP's, each of them would only count .5 times, so we would have to collect 8 HCP's to get a new HC. Sounds good?

And perhaps instead of every blue rupee being 5, it could be 2 or 3. And each other denomination of rupee (Red, Purple, and yellow, i.e. 20, 50, and 200 respectively.) would be only 10, 25, and 100 respectively.

And your weapons wouldn't really be affected, or else the enemies hit points would be doubled yet again! :eek: (For example, if a stalfos 1 had 4 HP, and your L1 sword only does 1/2 instead of 1, then that same stalfos would APPEAR to have 8, though it only has 4.

Speed, however, shouldn't really be affected. Projectile speed, maybe, that's up to you.

Floor traps and fireballs should have their damage doubled. I guess it just kinda sounds like a good idea, y'know?

So how do you like these?

Blonde799
12-02-2002, 03:56 PM
BH4? Your post seems like it was meant for the suggestions forum.:confuse2:

ShadowTiger
12-02-2002, 04:01 PM
:odd: You know, I was just thinking that! :rolleyes:

But then why is this topic here? :confused:

Naturally, I'm very confused. Now don't make me use the smily again. :laughing:

Blonde799
12-02-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
But then why is this topic here? :confused:
DFW is planning to give out two versions, normal and hard, of her quest. She asked for input on how the hard mode should be done.

DarkFlameWolf
12-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Thank you Blonde and with that, any more suggestions and comments?

Zaggarum
12-02-2002, 10:25 PM
I like the idea DFW. I will wait for the hard version though.

If I think about it my Trilogy would would be cooler with a hard mode. I think I will write down the ideas. *starts writing*

DarkFlameWolf
12-03-2002, 02:25 AM
okay, so its official, here are the strategies I am implementing, if no one objects to this hard mode. This will be the 'C-dawg' mode, specifically meant for someone of C-dawg's skill in ZC to beat a insane amount of challenges:
- Start you off with 2 hearts instead of 3.
- Eliminate all HC pieces leaving you with only the HC that you get from bosses, of which, there are six, leaving you only with 8 hearts total to be achieved in the hard version. That's half of the life bar.
- 30% of the secret grottos will now be small dungeon rooms with a shutter blocking access back out and forcing you to fight a bunch of enemies to escape and no rewards.
- More enemies in dungeons screens and harders ones that weren't there originally.
- Different bosses for each dungeon. (example: Dungeon 1 is a Aquamentus with 2 shooting statues, in the hard version, it would be a 3 headed Gleeok with 2 shooting statues, etc.)
- Have more screens have invisible enemies in dungeons before the one that you get the cross in.
- I'll have the player start off when continuing with a lower heart percentage (%).
- For those who beat each optional dungeon, you get a cheat code. Beat the final optional dungeon, and you get the red ring, fire boomerang, master sword, mirror shield and master key all at once. Which is unlike the normal version where there is one master item per dungeon.

So how's that?

Blonde799
12-03-2002, 05:15 AM
Sounds good. I have some more suggestions if you'll regard them.
-Second or even third waves of enemies.
-Have very high prices in shops.
-When you obtain an item, such as a key, have the shutter close and have enemies appear a la Doom.
-No Subscreen in certain areas.
-Lots of Dark Rooms(before you get the candle, heh).
-"Pay to Pass" and "Money or Life" rooms in later dungeons.

Teilyr
12-03-2002, 05:41 AM
I like the idea. If only quests rolled over. That way, you could finish the easy one, then roll over to the hard one, or 2nd quest. Or, opt to skip the easy one, since you're the 1337est Zelda player since TSA.

DarkFlameWolf
12-03-2002, 10:21 AM
heh, well Teilyr, any suggestions on how I would do that or do you have to hardcode a second quest into ZC? They should be able to have that option to roll over quests....
As for Blonde's suggestions, here are the ones I'm taking:
-Have very high prices in shops. (these are already in the normal version but I'll make them still higher)
-Lots of Dark Rooms (before you get the candle).
-"Pay to Pass" and "Money or Life" rooms in later dungeons.

Blonde799
12-03-2002, 01:30 PM
You can put multiple quests in ZC, to a certain extent, that is.
-You can't reset or edit stats.
-DMap and map space limit.
-Can't change link's look.

Other than that, you're pretty much free to do whatever ya want. I'm planning to have a seperate difficulty, and a 2nd quest, all in one.:)

DarkFlameWolf
12-03-2002, 05:01 PM
nice......I may consider it.

DarkFlameWolf
12-03-2002, 07:33 PM
bah, stupid forums won't let me edit my damn post, so sorry for double posting but:
I decided to have cheats in my 'hard' mode version but NOT in the 'normal' mode. Why? Because they help more in the hard mode. So how would you find out each password? By completing a super hard optional dungeon. :)
And as for bosses, I'm not changing them. They shall remain as they are in 'normal' mode. Instead, I'm going to plug in a couple enemies as back-up. Sound good? For example: Level 1 Aquamentus will have 4 red darknuts as his back-up. (and this is with 2 hearts in your life-bar)

Zaggarum
12-03-2002, 07:35 PM
Thats a cool idea DFW. I like it.