PDA

View Full Version : Key Blocks making a sound when opened

Qusetonui
12-01-2002, 02:46 AM
Instead of a mute opening of a key block, how about the regular door open sound effect? This way I hear a noise when opening it instead of a silent keyblock open SFX.

(If you do not know what I am saying, basically Key Blocks should have a sound effect to accompany it)

Teilyr
12-01-2002, 04:23 AM
I agree with that. I had my sound off when I tested the first time, but now I notice the silence. Perhaps just the standard key opening crap sound could be assigned to the keyblock.

Dark Nation
12-01-2002, 10:06 AM
I was thinking about that, too. I suppose I could do that.

Jigglysaint
12-01-2002, 05:04 PM
Also, how about a graphic. In the Zelda games, there was a little poof that showed up when if was unlocked. It could even use the smoke from the bomb tiles.

Tygore
12-01-2002, 09:48 PM
Or it's own graphic. You know someone will request it. It might as well just be put in now...

Dark Nation
12-01-2002, 09:58 PM
Send me a save state for one of the GBA games when Link is near a lock block so I can see what I am supposed to model it after. [email protected]

Tygore
12-01-2002, 10:03 PM
Gee, makes me wish I used emulators.

Naah, just make people draw it themselves.

Teilyr
12-01-2002, 10:14 PM
I gotcha, DN. I use VisualBoy Advance for my emulator so, I hope that its state will open in your emulator. Give me a few minutes.

The game I'm saving from is OoS.

bigjoe
12-01-2002, 10:15 PM
CGBZ has one DN , just go take it outta that and shade it up and stuff

Teilyr
12-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Sorry this took so long. Went through levels 1 of OoA & OoS, no lock block.. Finally found one in Link's Awakening.

So, here ya go. http://teilyr.netfirms.com/LoZLADX4.sgm

Note: This is the DX version.

Jigglysaint
12-02-2002, 12:21 AM
I should have told you the location in the rom to place a lock block in level 1 so you would have done it faster(but it would have to be ipsed).

BTW, the first lock block in OOS is right after Facade on level 2, and right after that winged creature in OOA, and right before the boss key in LA.

You are being so generous, DN. You know, after this, I really don't think I need to bother you for any idea that isn't lock block related.

KJAZZ
12-02-2002, 01:16 AM
He'll probably kill you, or code it in if you bug him after this..;)

Ooh, this smoke animation thing sounds interesting actually..you could make a key fly up like in the games..or something..if this is coded in, is it possible to work with regular doors too? Or is that asking too much? ;)

Dark Nation
12-02-2002, 02:03 AM
What I was talking about was I wanted to see what it looked like when you opened a key block so I could set the animation variables and such, not necessarily drawing the block/cloud/etc.

Jigglysaint
12-02-2002, 02:13 AM
ah. Basically the block for LA turns into a puff of smoke and disappears. I believe some sprites use the same sort of thing as well. What would also be cool if there was a rule of sorts that made items appear like the heart containers do in OOA/OOS, with a puff of smoke, but then again that's another suggestion for another version.

Teilyr
12-02-2002, 08:29 AM
DN, I can now get the OoA/OoS saves, if you'd like. The LA one is kind of hard to see, as the smoke puff appears underneath Link.

Oracles might be different.. I'm playing Ages right now, and will be in level 2 as soon as I figure out these damn fairies.

C-Dawg
12-02-2002, 11:53 AM
We dont really need a special animation for this. Just use an animated combo to make it happen.

-C

Dark Nation
12-02-2002, 12:05 PM
I was thinking kind of the same thing. Instead of a forced third combo just for the poof animation, I was thinking if you set the unlocked combo to a cycled combo, it could go through the poof state, then switch to the unlocked state. If you walked onto a screen with an unlocked lock block, the engine would only display the last combo in the sequence.

Teilyr
12-02-2002, 12:09 PM
Good point. *applies*

Jigglysaint
12-02-2002, 12:38 PM
ah, cool. Oviously I want to further take advantage of the lock block's peremency by suggesting a combo thats similar, but doesn't take a key yet still triggers all the lock blocks on the screen. Also, a similar combo that only unlocks if a lock block was unlocked, but is unlockable any other way. Since these combos stay even in dungeons, I think this would be interesting for adding doors and such where you have to push a switch to open.

Edit: This poof animation would not be a combo, but a sprite in the simitude of the grass and bush clipping sprites. I checked both the Oracle Series and LA, and in LA, the poof animation appears over the tile exactly like grass clippings and the Oracle games, the key goes up and disappears.

You could have 2 more misc sprites, LA style lock blocks and Oracle style lock blocks, each that do their own thing. A combo for this would not be appropriate and it would make the game look less professional.