PDA

View Full Version : Some quirk about Win XP that I just don't get

Foxx
11-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Sometimes I'll be browsing the Web (using IE v. 6.0) and a window will pop up saying:

"A Runtime Error has occurred.
Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 217
Error: Illegal (insignificant whatever)"

If by some chance I choose "Yes," Microsoft Script Editor opens up and I'm presented with the HTML code of the page. Now, how the devil am I, let alone the average Windows XP user, supposed to be able to debug a runtime error in 400+ lines of HTML code? This looks like nothing more than a device to permit Windows/IE users to screw their systems up royally. Why couldn't they just keep these piddling little errors out of our view, the way every previous Windows/IE combination has done.

Menokh
11-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Hmm.
That can happen in IE6 in any Windows it runs on, I think. And I think there is a way to somehow disable that option, does anyone know?

Breaker
11-30-2002, 11:41 AM
Tools>Internet Options>Advanced> check disable script debugging

Jemsee
11-30-2002, 01:03 PM
I ran IE 6 used it a day, uninstalled and reinstalled IE5.
I just installed 5.5 and it seems to work ok.
I hate it when an upgrade screws with your system to the point where it is more trouble than it's worth getting things back to normal.
That's why I still use win98. xP looks good but 98 still does every thing I currently need.
Untill I run into things where I need a higher end OS I'm stayng here.

Foxx
11-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks very much Breaker! :thumbsup:

DarkDragon
11-30-2002, 04:35 PM
Well, in any case I don't believe you'll do much harm even if you do decide to mess with the HTML code, since, unless I'm severly mistaken, all you're editing is a temporary local copy of the web page's script.

MottZilla
11-30-2002, 04:40 PM
I think it's stupid how they wouldn't have it disabled by default...