PDA

View Full Version : Linux patch?

Fatty Lumpkin
11-28-2002, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know if I can find a linux patch for baldur's gate II? I want to go to pure linux, but I want baldur's gate II also. And I don't want to mess with WINE.

Menokh
11-28-2002, 02:50 PM
You have to mess with Wine to play most Windows only games in Linux.

Baldur's Gate 2 does work when played using WineX, but network play isn't supported for this game yet(or so the site says). Baldur's Gate 2 has to played in OpenGL mode to play full speed though. WineX is a varient of Wine with DirectX support, there are faqs and documentation on the site and in the download.

Anyhow, check out www.transgaming.com for WineX, which costs $15 for unlimited downloads in a three month period(even if a new version comes out). It is able to play other games too, like Warcraft 3, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Diablo 2 and quite a few others.

Fatty Lumpkin
11-28-2002, 10:16 PM
The reason I asked about a patch is that you can get a patch/installer for Unreal Tournament to play in Linux.

Yeah, I heard about WineX, but I don't want to pay for it. It wouldn't run the game at full speed either, would it?

Would regular wine or crossover work? I don't really want to use them but I might as well ask.

Menokh
11-29-2002, 12:36 AM
WineX is Wine with DirectX support, for all of the games it runs, it runs them better than Wine ever would. Most times the game will run full speed in WineX.

As for UT, if you mean 1, then I had no idea, but UT2003 has a native Linux version on the disks.

Wine is an experiment to run non-directX based Windows programs on Linux. WineX takes Wine and makes it stable and adds DirectX support. Crossover Plugin is a stable Wine that allows you to use Windows browser plugins in Linux. And Crossover Office is a stable Wine that allows you to run MS Office(including IE) and Quicken in Linux.

Of the 4 projects, only Wine is free as in no cost to you. WineX is $15 for 3 months of downloads(the program works forever), Crossover Plugin is $30(and well worth it for Quicktime movie playback in Linux), and Crossover Office is $74(comes free with Xandros though, but Xandros costs money). All are based on the open source Wine, and WineX distributes the source code for free minus the proprietary encryption routines needed to install and run many games.

Thunderbird
11-29-2002, 03:36 AM
Menokh: I believe he knows of the UT installer for Linux. It is not a patch, rather, it is a complete installer which installs the standard UT files as well as some Linux specific files.

I do not believe that Baldur's Gate 2 has a Linux version.

Fatty Lumpkin
11-29-2002, 01:36 PM
*sigh* I'll just keep searching. Someone's gotta have a site with some info.