PDA

View Full Version : How in the fuck can a game be THIS ADDICTING!!!1111

AlexMax
11-27-2002, 09:24 PM
http://www.the-underdogs.org/games/m/mrdriller/mrdriller.jpg

Yes, I am talking about the game whose avatar is infamous at this site. Mr. Driller is quite possibly the most addicting game I have ever played. I got a PC version from Home of the Underdogs (since Abandonware is not endoresed here, I will not link it, but it shouldn't be too hard to find), and I havn't stopped playing since. (Check HOTU forums if you have problems running the game the first time)

It works like thiis. You are this guy, who has to drill (duh) through a ton of colored blocks, and a few X blocks. The object is to get to the bottom of the pile.

Your driller, however is quite fragle. The laws of physics dictate that if you drill into blocks that make the blocks above you fall (by removing the block that is keeping it from falling), you will be crushed. However, the laws of physics defy for one reason. If the falling block encounters another block of like color near it, it will merge with it, and (possibly, if the resulting block is secured) prevent it from falling. If it happens to group into a block of four, it will disappear as well, as well as the block.

Then there is the air....oh boy you have limited air which depletes at one unit a second (you start out with 100) and you have to pick up O2 tanks along the way that restore 20 points of air. However, the X blocks that inhabit the stack happen to take away 20 units of air (why, I don't know) and are usually surrounding the O2 units. Luckily, the X blocks take five drills to go through (so you dont accidently drill through it and lose O2) and obey the laws of physics like the rest of the colored blocks, and vanish like them too.

The presentation and music (all of which is thankfully includedd in the CD-RIP at HOTU) are the makings of a wacky japanese game show or a japanese guy on crack or something. All I know is that this is one crazy adrenaline rush of a puzzle game, and one you MUST pick up, be it for PC (unlikely unless you get the rip from HOTU), Dreamcast or PSX. (There is also a GBC version avalable, but IGN seemeed to rate it lower for some reason...)

Paradox
11-27-2002, 10:05 PM
How in the fuck can a game be THIS ADDICTING!!!1111
it snot.

at least, it doesn't seem it to me :shrug:

slothman
11-27-2002, 11:13 PM
We should get a mod oppinion on this but I believe The Underdogs are legal abandonware. I think they state "if we have copyrighted software here tell us and we will remove it immediately" So I think they are fine to link to specific games on.

Thunderbird
11-28-2002, 02:54 AM
Abandonware is illegal by definition because it is the distribution of copyrighted software without explicitly obtaining permission.

Doesn't change my view about it though :P.

MottZilla
11-28-2002, 03:07 AM
Actually theunderdogs aren't that bad as they do cooperate with the ISDA as they've been asked to on numerous occasions I believe. However I saw the Seiken Densetsu 3 rom on there before I think. I don't see how that is "abandon ware". It's still owned by squaresoft and they will probably use it again and enforce their copy right if they have to.

Masamune
11-29-2002, 03:44 PM
alexmax... thank you for showing me this game... this is possibly the most time i've ever played a computer game...

AlexMax
11-30-2002, 07:30 PM
Interestingly enough, it was origionally a console game.

Glad that you're enojying it instead of passing it off as 'gay' without even trying it.

Masamune
11-30-2002, 07:35 PM
ya it took me like half a freaking hour to find what you were talknig about though :P

slothman
11-30-2002, 09:03 PM
I downloaded it but when I try to install it just gives a "file access denied" error. Does it work on win95 and does it need any special programs loaded like directx?

Paradox
11-30-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
Glad that you're enojying it instead of passing it off as 'gay' without even trying it.
who says i never tried it? :eyebrow:

rubixd
11-30-2002, 10:30 PM
I'lll check it out....
LATER
Im not good at any of these games. I usually end up calling the computer a fuckhead and pulling the plug or something similar.

Maverick_Zero
11-30-2002, 11:01 PM
Seems like an advanced version of a game I played on a shockwave site, I think it was called Boulderdash.

Thunderbird
12-01-2002, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by slothman
I downloaded it but when I try to install it just gives a "file access denied" error. Does it work on win95 and does it need any special programs loaded like directx?

Open the .ace archive with WinRAR or WinAce and extract the files to a directory. I don't know why there's an installer there, to tell you the truth. It's pointless (not to mention it doesn't work :p).

I haven't been able to play this game because I get stopped by a CD key prompt :(.

Masamune
12-01-2002, 09:59 AM
i love the installer! sometimes i open it up just to listen to the music it plays. and i had to pnch in a cd key to... i'd tell you guys what it is but i don't know what kind of rules agn has about cd keys...

Maverick_Zero
12-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Yeah, definatley an advanced version of Boulder Dash.