PDA

View Full Version : It was a let down

dlang
11-27-2002, 03:19 PM
I couldn't wait to get the windows versions of Zelda Classic.
And when I got it, it wasn't what I expected.
I though it would have the look of a windows program not the old look. Yep what a let down.

plith
11-27-2002, 03:37 PM
Well we're all so sorry it didn't switch to the same grey menus. If you want to see the program in a window, just add " -windowed" to the end of the command line in the shortcut.

ShadowTiger
11-27-2002, 04:38 PM
Really? You can do that? But why would we want to do that? (That was phrased wrong, but I have to leave it up as an example. ) What situation would warrant the.... windowization of W-ZC?

plith
11-27-2002, 05:02 PM
I like to use AIM at the same time. So I can talk to people while I make quests.

ShadowTiger
11-27-2002, 05:08 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Too bad I don't have any real 'net access at home. (I would have a blast! :kawaii: :D )

Oh yeah. You could use it with Mottzilla's programs, (For when there is a bug in the quest and you need to no-clip out of it. It's very handy then, right? ) or to use with screenshots.

Blonde799
11-27-2002, 07:56 PM
dlang, the windows version I assume was created to run on computers that couldn't run the DOS version, not to have the popular windows interface. It might someday, although I highly doubt its early arrival.

Actually, I expected that kind of thing too, but I was glad it was at least compatible with my computer, and that's all that mattered to me..:)

Zaggarum
11-28-2002, 02:24 AM
I expect that DN will do this in the future. When he said get completly off DOS, this is when it might happen. I look forward to that day.

And Plith, I like the idea of IM and making quests at the same time. That really makes it more interesting and a lot more fun. :D

MottZilla
11-28-2002, 03:51 AM
Why do people always want to "get off dos"? It's a very relieable OS compared to windows. It just tends to be ignored so it's not properly supported by the average person's manufactured PC. ;p

I wonder though, if DN could possibly add (to the windows version only) a simply switch to windowed/full screen key while the app is running, or if windowed mode can only work if specified at initialization.

plith
11-28-2002, 08:46 AM
People want to "get off DOS" for a number of reasons. Foremost among them is probably XP. Next would be the music, which in DOS mode has a limited amount of instruments, causing certain MIDIs to sound completely different. They sound much better in the Windows version.
And finally, there are just the special cases. For me, using the DOS version of the program cuts off my LAN connection, which I also use for a connection to the Internet. I can only refresh that connection by restarting.
So we're forced into using the Windows version because it's inevitably better.

idontknow
11-28-2002, 02:00 PM
whats the command window and where can i download the windows version?...i dont think i have it but i'm not sure...cuz i do have the latest beta for 1.92...i used to have version 1.90 for awhile but when i used it on this new computer, it didnt work with windows xp...so i finally downloaded the beta now too long ago; so i'm honestly not sure if its a windows version but it does work for windows xp..only sometimes it makes my computer run a lil slowly after i use it for a long time

MottZilla
11-28-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by plith
People want to "get off DOS" for a number of reasons. Foremost among them is probably XP. Next would be the music, which in DOS mode has a limited amount of instruments, causing certain MIDIs to sound completely different. They sound much better in the Windows version.
And finally, there are just the special cases. For me, using the DOS version of the program cuts off my LAN connection, which I also use for a connection to the Internet. I can only refresh that connection by restarting.
So we're forced into using the Windows version because it's inevitably better.

Well that's just your crappy sound card drivers for DOS. ;p But I agree that development of the windows version is vital.

Zaggarum
11-28-2002, 11:38 PM
It is best we move to windows. Little by little DOS is disappearing. I think it will be around for a very long time, but somebody, someday will make something better.

Lets just hope DN changes its look one day.

AlphaDawg
11-29-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by dlang
I couldn't wait to get the windows versions of Zelda Classic.
And when I got it, it wasn't what I expected.
I though it would have the look of a windows program not the old look. Yep what a let down. Well, most of us were looking forward to a Windows version for other reasons. I, for example, have used Windows XP long before it was released to the public and was glad just to have a version that worked at all with it. Having it look like a traditional Windows program was of little importance to me. I care more about menu functionality. Judging by that, Zelda Classic has always has had a traditional Windows feel.

Zaggarum
11-29-2002, 01:48 PM
Its good going to windows, but the only problem is that you need faster computers to run it. I don't think that should matter though. :thumbsup: