PDA

View Full Version : James Quest 2: Wizard Quest

Nightmare
11-26-2002, 02:47 AM
A status update:

AlphaDawg and I are going through James's Quest 2 getting rid of bugs. This quest has been over a year in the making and we are finally getting somewhere with the bug testing.

It will be playable with Beta 163. Nothing new is being added.

-NJS-

Qusetonui
11-26-2002, 02:13 PM
I am one of the original members of JQ2 and I am glad it is working with beta 163. I hope there are not too many bugs because 1.90 works with Lanmolas with ring leaders, but not the Windows version of beta 163. It works fine on the DOS version beta 163, but not the Windows. Keep up the good work and there should be less bugs. This shuold patch up the sequel to James' Quest 1 and make it a step above the rest that use "every trick in the book." (some say that it is one of the best pre-1.90 quests) :thumbsup:

ShadowTiger
11-26-2002, 04:06 PM
But the question is, .... How difficult will it be? Let's not see too many DeathKnights in L1, OK? :eyebrow:

Nightmare
11-26-2002, 04:12 PM
It's hard, and long.

Figure AlphaDawg is only up to Level 6 (as of his last update), and he's a highly skilled player.

The quest is also .75 MB, by far my largest quest.

-NJS-

ShadowTiger
11-26-2002, 04:18 PM
.75 Mb. Hmm.. That's... like.... 750 KB? Not bad! I was up to 1.5MB by L5. :eyebrow: (That is, not to brag or anything, it's just that I filled my quest with tiles, and now it is its own graphics pack that was submitted to PureZC. Feel free to take tiles from it if you want.)

Well, at least I can fit it on a hard disk to bring it home. :)

C-Dawg
11-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Heh. Average size for a nice completed quest nowadays is 4 megs, you know.

-C

ShadowTiger
11-26-2002, 04:52 PM
:laughing: No, that's the average size of the best quests out there. And out of respect towards you, I won't go further than that. But if my quest is 1.5 already, and I haven't even finished L4 yet, (I skipped it.) or even half the overworld, then why is it 1.5? Perhaps all the tiles. I have 10 maps and about 70+ dmaps already. (But they're mostly special effects.)

I with you luck with the quest, Nightmare and Alphadawg. :thumbsup:

KJAZZ
11-27-2002, 01:59 AM
A good quest doesn't need to be 4 MB, C-Dawg. The 1st quest was good and is but a mere 36 KB. C-dawg, in this case, size doesn't matter. ;p

AlphaDawg
11-28-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Heh. Average size for a nice completed quest nowadays is 4 megs, you know.

-C As I'm sure you've heard plenty of times before ;)... it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it!

C-Dawg
11-28-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by AlphaDawg
As I'm sure you've heard plenty of times before ;)... it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it!

Word. You dont need size if you've got styzzle, dawg.

-C

Jigglysaint
11-28-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Nightmare
It's hard, and long.

posted by AlphadawgAs I'm sure you've heard plenty of times before ... it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it!

Hehe...

Blonde799
11-28-2002, 04:17 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Well this is nice.:) It'll be good to see a classic quest get upgraded.

Heh heh, whammy.

Foxx
11-29-2002, 05:55 AM
Quests made with build 163 simply seem to have bigger file sizes than earlier versions of ZC. My own quest Microplex saved as 315 KB in v. 1.90..... heck, in beta version 64 of v. 1.92 even. Now using beta 163 the (virtually) same quest comes to over 1.2 MB. The original 1st.qst was only 36 KB in earlier versions, now in beta 163 it's almost 300 KB. This surely has to do with all the extra variables that now have to be set in v. 1.92 quests, but still quite a jump in file size... go figure it seems.

On topic, it's good to hear that Wizard Quest is rolling up. I played last's year's demo up to level 4 and while it is indeed hard, it's certainly not insane, like another quest or two that I've played... (looks at the creator of the Rush demo and winks knowingly :spin: ) But it should present a very solid play.

DarkDragoonX
11-30-2002, 03:49 PM
Hmm. I remember playing JQ2 a while back, testing it. It's fairly difficult, but not impossible. I only have one question: did you finally fix the bug on the overworld on that one screen (yeah, that's vauge, I know, but I don't have the pictures of that bug anymore) where walking north would get you stuck on the stepladder, preventing progress?

AlphaDawg
11-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by DarkDragoonX
I only have one question: did you finally fix the bug on the overworld on that one screen (yeah, that's vauge, I know, but I don't have the pictures of that bug anymore) where walking north would get you stuck on the stepladder, preventing progress? I know what screen you're talking about. It's fixed.