PDA

View Full Version : Learning Linux

Mystery-Q
11-25-2002, 02:48 AM
Anyone know any really good KDE Administration tutorials?

Cloral
11-25-2002, 03:39 AM
Sorry. I only use gnome. :shrug:

Kinda on topic, are there any good books or on-line references that anyone has found for really learning what is going on with Linux? Like something a little more advanced than Linux for Dummies.

vegeta1215
11-25-2002, 01:35 PM
I use Mandrake Linux, and I think the guide that comes with it is an excellent source of information on how to start using Linux, and get used to the command line features. They're far better than any book I've seen. I know they used to have the User and Reference guides online, but for some reason I can't find the link to it...hmmmm

For KDE administration, try the KDE Control Center. There should be a link to it somewhere in your menu, probably under Configuration (there's also a good chance you have it on your desktop or taskbar). And you can run it by typing 'kcontrol' at the command line.

If I find the link to the User guide, I'll paste it here.

Masamune
11-25-2002, 02:10 PM
i had to uninstall linux for more drive space. :( but when i buy a 50 gig drive t go with my 20, MANDRAKE LINUX WILL BE BACK! along with his friends... REDHAT AND SUSE!

Menokh
11-25-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Masamune
i had to uninstall linux for more drive space. :( but when i buy a 50 gig drive t go with my 20, MANDRAKE LINUX WILL BE BACK! along with his friends... REDHAT AND SUSE!

Why would you want three distributions? It's not like there is a huge difference between them.

As for KDE tutorials. KDE comes with a comprehensive help system, and many Linux distributions come wth thier own tutorials and help files.

Mystery-Q
11-27-2002, 01:19 AM
Hmm acctually does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how to install programs like gaim or open office?

vegeta1215
11-27-2002, 01:39 AM
OpenOffice: http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/instructions.html

Gaim: What Linux distribution do you have? Generally, you can get Gaim in rpm form, and it's realy easy to install. I always download source rpms and rebuild them.