View Full Version : overhead, layers, etc...

idontknow
11-22-2002, 08:29 PM
how do i make a bridge so that i can go under it and over it when i cross it a certain ways...like if i were to go in water, id want to swim under it but walk over it, and the sides of the bridge would b unwalkable...in other words, could link go from one layer to another?...and could you trigger secret combos on other layers?...like if i had a whistle flag on the first layer, could i trigger the second layer's secret flags, so that it appears to rain over the first layer?

Zaggarum
11-23-2002, 07:27 PM
(one simple word) Layers :)

You need to use layers for this one "IDK". They aren't hard to use. You just need to have two maps and the time to do this. First you make the screen you want Link to walk on. Next go to the other map and make sure that you use a tile that make the entire screen clear. Not a black tile a clear tile. On this clear screen put the bridge ect. on the screen where you want it to appear on the other screen. After this go back to the other screen and go to the layers option. Don't click the boxes at the bottom, those are for transparents. 1 2 3 4 5 and 6 tell where the tiles will go corresponding to height. 1 2 are under Link, 3 4 above Link and below "flyers" and 5 6 are above all. To use this, change to "0" a the top of the correspnding # to the map number and below that put the screen number. That all :D Hope this helps.

About the other stuff below the numbers... Somebody will need to tell you about those.

idontknow
11-23-2002, 08:12 PM
um...thanx...but i already knew how to make layers...i'm asking how would i make a bridge that i could both go over & under?...and how can i alter other layers in the game by triggering secret combos?

Zaggarum
11-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Well... you need to use layers to start out like I said. The only way is to use layers, but the ability to walk on a bridge and swimm under it are immpossible. I though since you wondered about going under bridges and stuff, you weren't sure how to use layers.
my bad... :shrug:

Teilyr
11-23-2002, 09:20 PM
It's not impossible. You just have to use pit warps effectivley.

Cloral
11-23-2002, 10:07 PM
The best thing to do is to make it so that there are basically 2 ways to enter the screen - one that takes you under the bridge, and one that goes over it. Now the paths need to use different sides of the screen. Make a duplicate of the screen somewhere else, and then make it so that the bridge is part of the main layer. Using side warps, make it so that when you come to the screen from certain sides you are warped to the duplicate of the screen.

So in short, you actually can't have a bridge that you walk over and under. You just fake it.

Zaggarum
11-24-2002, 02:02 AM
So, where do pit warps come in to play. I thought Teilyr said you needed them?

Teilyr
11-24-2002, 02:18 AM
Actually, that's what I like to call momentary retardation. I meant side, but said pit. Sorry 'bout that.