PDA

View Full Version : DVD help

Starkist
11-19-2002, 03:49 AM
I have had a DVD ROM for years but only now have gotten some working software for it. The only problem is that it plays very choppy. Any common answers to my problem? I try enabling DMA but it will not stay enabled. I have the latest drivers.

Edit - Seems that my video card is not as good as it could be. Lowering the resolution solves the problem, only it looks blurry.

Ich
11-19-2002, 10:29 AM
If you get a DVD player, then you don't have to run it through your computer.

Starkist
11-19-2002, 01:49 PM
I have a DVD player. I already have one in my computer so I thought it might be fuun to fire it up and see what I can do with it.

Thunderbird
11-19-2002, 02:04 PM
Most DVD player software does the decoding on its own. Your video card will only factor into the equation if it has a hardware decoder on it (not a lot do). A fast processor is necessary (I got good quality with a Celery 400 provided there was nothing else running :P).

teddyboy420
11-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Thunderbird
Most DVD player software does the decoding on its own. Your video card will only factor into the equation if it has a hardware decoder on it (not a lot do). A fast processor is necessary (I got good quality with a Celery 400 provided there was nothing else running :P).

Yeah but if the computer dosen't have a good video card then there's no way it would be able to handle the picture from a DVD. I would think your video card should be at least 16 mb to play a DVD.

gdorf
11-19-2002, 07:01 PM
A fast processor is necessary (I got good quality with a Celery 400 provided there was nothing else running :P).

I most definately would not call a cellie 400 a fast processor..