PDA

View Full Version : New York Times: Tiger Woods should skip Masters

AlphaDawg
11-19-2002, 01:47 AM
Much like the GTA3 - Beltway sniper connection, I knew it would be just a matter of time until a liberal newspaper such as the "Newspaper of Record" would print an editorial suggesting something like this. I guess liberals will never understand the fact that Augusta National is a private club and can admit whoever they want, and not admit whoever they don't want to admit. Also, I believe the tournament is separate from the club.
William (Hootie) Johnson, the chairman of the Augusta National Golf Club, has become the poster boy for a particularly regressive branch of the golfing set. As he announced somewhat testily last week, his famous all-male country club has no plans to add women members — not anytime soon and certainly not in time for the Masters tournament in April. Augusta National is a private club, Mr. Johnson explained, and thus his members have a "constitutional right to choose" who can be excluded from its expensive inner sanctum.

The constitutional right to choose is real, but it is not limited to Mr. Johnson and his all-male choir. If the club that runs the Masters can brazenly discriminate against women, that means others can choose not to support Mr. Johnson's golfing fraternity. That includes more enlightened members of the club, CBS Sports, which televises the Masters, and the players, especially Tiger Woods.

Some club members, like Sanford Weill of Citigroup and Kenneth Chenault at American Express, have called for an end to the gender discrimination. A lot of good that did back in Augusta however. The club reaffirmed its all-male code.

Augusta National is the host of America's toniest golf tournament, one that brings about $20 million to the club from the public and untold profits for CBS Sports. But that Masters magic is based on discrimination that Citigroup, American Express, CBS and other modern corporations vowed to eradicate decades ago. Mr. Weill and Mr. Chenault should lead the way by resigning from the club and encouraging other C.E.O.'s to do the same. CBS Sports, which seems to think this issue is no big deal, needs to think again.

Tiger Woods, who has won the Masters three times, could simply choose to stay home in April. The absence of golf's best player would put a dreaded asterisk by the name of next year's winner. And a tournament without Mr. Woods would send a powerful message that discrimination isn't good for the golfing business. Of course, if Mr. Woods took that view, the club might suddenly find room for a few female members. Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, for example, is said to be a very good golfer.

Dirk the Daring
11-19-2002, 10:34 AM
What a crock. It did the Citadel wonders when they let women in. I guess she feels that an admission standard for a University that requires a minimum of 1000 on the SAT is discriminating against stupid people, the the Valadictorian should sit out a semester to protest? What a load of crap. Why don't the women start their own golf club, oh wait, that is what the LPGA is for. Maybe they need to chip in and buy their own golf course and keep men out.

Starkist
11-19-2002, 01:48 PM
That is just the thing. If this were a famously exclusive all-women club there would be no news.

deathbyhokie
11-19-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Starkist
That is just the thinig. If this were a famously exclusive all-women club there would be no news.

i've been arguing this since VMI had to allow women in. and also using a similiar arguement against affirmative action. it's stupid.

AlphaDawg
11-19-2002, 02:34 PM
I'm surprised they're actually referring to the chairman (or should that be "chairperson," Newspaper of Record?) by his real name instead of simply Hootie Johnson. A name like "Hootie" would kind of fit the old white Southern bigot hick stereotype that liberals love to perpetuate.