PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

Triforce_Power
11-18-2002, 10:07 PM
I have a couple questions about the ZQuest.

1) How do i determine a starting location for Link?

2) I have a tile that i want to post but its not part of the main 15 tiles. How can i place it on my map?

3) How do i go from the world map to a DMap?

Please reply as soon as possilbe

plith
11-18-2002, 10:32 PM
1 & 3) You need a better understanding of the concept of a DMap. A DMap is not the actual screens that Link walks around on, but rather the background information for said screens. So when Link is on a "DMap," that's just a set of information for where exactly Link is, including such variables as type of area (Overworld, Cave, or Dungeon), map where the screens are located, palette used for said area, location on the map where the compass would blink, name, intro text, and most importantly in this situation, continue (starting) screen for that map. Link automatically starts where DMap 0 points. On that screen, place him with a green square.

2) Main 15 tiles? Well, you can do tile and combo editing in the Quest(->Graphics) menu, and use SHIFT+PgUP/PgDN to scroll through the combo page. That's a lengthy enough explanation though... probably requires a full guide of sorts.

Triforce_Power
11-18-2002, 10:50 PM
It's the tiles on right. Probably not 15, i confused you. sorry

Zaggarum
11-18-2002, 11:23 PM
Actully Tri, I would say the easiest way to scroll through the tiles is to use the mouse. On the options menu in Zquest, check the mark that says mouse scroll. Now you can easily go through the combos by moving the mouse on top of the list or the bottom of the list to take you in that direction. Also if you hold shift you can speed up scrolling and ctrl to really make it go fast.

Jigglysaint
11-18-2002, 11:31 PM
There are waaaaaaaaaaaay more than 15 tiles.

Anyway, someone should find the link to the official quest making tutorial.

Triforce_Power
11-18-2002, 11:51 PM
Let me try to make it more clear to everyone. Ignore all messages above.

There is a tile i would like to place on my map, however, it is not part of the tiles on the right. How do i select the tile from the Combos list (Quest->Combos) and be able to place it on my map?

P.S.
I now know what a DMap is! Thanks plith!

Zaggarum
11-19-2002, 12:14 AM
Umm... Oh that :sweat:

Ok Tri, first find a way to scroll down the combos. You will find blocks that bland and are black and red. Right clink on those and a screen will come up. On the screen is a bland box click on it and it will show your tiles. Find the tile you made select it and press ok. The window will come up again. The scrolling list below is the job that the combo will have on the screen like water or slash. Hope that helps.

Triforce_Power
11-19-2002, 09:53 AM
Alright, i finially figured it out, with some help. However, i still have a few more unanswer questions:

1) I still don't know how to get a starting location for Link (you know, when you first start the game link appears). How do i get him to start somewhere else?

2) I have a bush on my map, but when i chop it down, it simply turns into a gray area. How to i stop this?
(I suspect it's something similar to burning down a tree and finding stairs. Is is the same process?)

2) What is a "warp ring?"

Teilyr
11-19-2002, 11:02 AM
Have you read the ZQ tutorial? Alot of the questions that you've asked thus far can be answered within it.

Here's a link. http://www.casadealphadawg.com/zc/zqtutorial

Oh yes.. Under normal circumstances, I'd answer the 3 questions you just asked. However, I just came inside, and my friggin' hands are numb, thus making it really difficult to type.

Zaggarum
11-20-2002, 03:06 AM
Links starting point is figure out two ways. First on Dmap make the first map a overworld. Set the continue opthion on the window to the screen you want link to appear and then Page down and then hit the box in the small options menu and place the green box anywhere on the screen. that the starting point.

Slash is not there Big T. It's simple Tri. All you do is put a tile after the tile you wnat the slash to turn into on the combo page.

Example

S TOO
OOOO
OOOO
OOOO
OOOO

o=other tiles.
s= you want to slash
t=tile the slash will turn into.

As for warp rings, I know how to use them, but it's difficult. You better do to Alphadawgs tutorial for that.

Cloral
11-20-2002, 03:57 AM
Set the screen's undercombo (its under the menus at the top of the screen) to what you want the bush to look like once you've chopped it down.

Triforce_Power
11-20-2002, 12:59 PM
I think this is the last question I have. After this, i think i'm all set to go!

How to i go from the overworld to a dungeon? And how do i design one?

I've read the ZQ tutorial and couldn't understand that part. So, if someone would explain it to me in plain english, it would be most helpful. Thanks

Teilyr
11-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Tilewarp. It's in the tutorial. :)

http://www.casadealphadawg.com/zc/zqtutorial/chapter2/page4.html#Step%209

Zaggarum
11-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Let me answer it here for you Tri. Sorry about the slash thing I sort of forgot. :shrug:

You need to have a tile set for cave. If you are using old graphics, one of the black tiles is cave. This is an enterance. Next go under data and click the tile warp. Under tile warp click the enterance and exit tile warp. set the screen you wnat to appear in and your done. Do this for the enteracne of the dungeon. Still should check out eh tutorial. Thats what its used for. It may be boring, but it really helps.