PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to get to know people.

Zaggarum
11-17-2002, 12:49 AM
As many have noticed, my sig says I wish to be a Moderator for the ZC Forums. I know I am very new hear and that means people don't know me. I expect that Jiggly, VEL, Plith, and Cloral will not leave for a while, but there is no reason not to ask this. I woud like to know what ways people talk around here. Use chat rooms or IM? And what makes a good MOD? This way I can get to know the peope and be ready when War Lord is ready to find someone new.

plith
11-17-2002, 01:11 AM
Well, for starters, I would tone down the publicizing the fact that you want to become a mod. And as for what a good mod should be able to know/do? He should have a very firm grasp of how these forums work. He should probably know just about everything anyone else knows about ZQuest and ZC, or at least something close to that, since many times moderators can be found helping out newbies with questions. And finally, they should at least be capable of keeping from insulting some newbie with a ridiculous or stupid thread, no matter how ridiculous and stupid that thread may actually be. Although that last part might be optional, eh? ;) (Don't jump down my throat, people; it's just the irony)

The Savior
11-17-2002, 01:45 AM
I do believe a large part of being a moderator for a given forum is posting only relevent topics in it, and posting irrelevent topics in their respective forums.

fingolfin
11-17-2002, 12:40 PM
If you ask me, all mods do is move threads to their proper place, and test private betas :mad:

Nick
11-17-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by fingolfin
If you ask me, all mods do is move threads to their proper place, and test private betas :mad:

They obviously do more than that... of course... not all of them test private betas though... that's mainly a coincidence (sp?) that most of them do (ZC mods of course).

Zaggarum
11-17-2002, 11:07 PM
:sweat: oh not again... Sorry guys. My brother got to my username. I should stop using cookies. He keeps trying to use my username because my parents won't let him have one. He wants to be a mod real bad. He saw my sig more likely. I think I will change it. Though I wouldn't mind being a moderator one day. :D

Could somebody get here and close this one.

plith
11-17-2002, 11:58 PM
I would if this topic degenerated to spamming. As it is, I see a harmless conversation about moderators and what they do. While asking to become a mod isn't a good way to become one, it is also not against the rules, so I'm going to leave this topic open. Unless the rules changed when I wasn't looking and we now close topics just by request?

Jigglysaint
11-17-2002, 11:59 PM
Take off every Zagg!

How about this: I'm going to introduce somthing called General Discussion to you(I am talking to your brother, Zagg[get your own account]). I'm going to move it there as it will be more relevent and rather than kill a topic, it can collect dust in another spot:D.

As for the thing that the ZC mods are beta testers. We are testers because we applied when there was an announcement. We were selected because of our knowlege of Zquest. It takes someone who knows the ins and outs of the program in order to test for bugs. We also got our mod spots because of our knowlege of Zquest. I have been here for 2 years and I have learn an imense amount of things.

Zaggarum
11-18-2002, 12:05 AM
Ok ok. Still my bro should get his own username.
Another thing I guess I saw on post he wrote was about talking. I Do you really need to know all of the other Mods too. What way do you talk?

Jigglysaint
11-18-2002, 12:10 AM
AIM, but I'm not giving out my AIM name!

Zaggarum
11-18-2002, 12:16 AM
C'mon Jiggly :laughing:

Jigglysaint
11-18-2002, 12:25 AM
If you can't figure it out, you don't deserve my help.:D

Zaggarum
11-18-2002, 12:59 AM
In that case, I will use my psychic powers or just use your usernaeme :D

Jigglysaint
11-18-2002, 01:07 AM
Brilliant deduction there!

NeoPuff
11-24-2002, 02:50 PM
You need a password,Zagg.:sweat:
You can't just use his username.
Or did i miss the joke?

DarkDragon
11-24-2002, 03:23 PM
Back on topic, I suppose I should give the cynical to your question: in order to have a maximal chance of becoming a moderator, you need to establish yourself as a member of their inner circle of friends; though doing so when a newbie is not always easy. Gain the favor of as much of the administration as possible, realizes that some people (ie, Admins) have much more influence than others. Then just wait for a current staff member to resign or get banned, and if you've accumulated enough influence you'll get promoted.

Above all, DON'T:
-Do stupid stuff that'll get you banned. This tenet holds much more weight while you're still a newbie, since, oddly enough, it has been observed that there is a corrolation between being banned once you're a respected member and being subsequently promoted.
-Ask to be a moderator. Although this is not against the rules, it almost always hurts your case.
-Rent-a-mod. Although you may think that you should demonstrate your moderational prowess to prove that you are qualified for the job, doing so tends to piss off the staff.