PDA

View Full Version : My warp ring doesn't work and I don't know why

Foxx
11-16-2002, 11:42 PM
I'm trying to make an ordinary 4-point warp ring. I've got everything set up the way it should be, I've gone to AlphaDawg's tutorial and done the setup exactly as he describes. But when I enter a stairway in the ring and go into one of the three passages, I just get taken back to the screen I entered from, and I have no idea why. Anyone please help?

Cloral
11-18-2002, 03:04 AM
Make absolutely sure that the screen you entered the warp ring from is one of the possible exits from the warp ring. Double check to make sure it is the same screen (remember that you have to take dmap offsets into account).

Foxx
11-18-2002, 05:04 AM
OK, the stairways still don't work, but I'm certain that all four exit screens of the warp ring are set up correctly. I'm using the "Go" command in the warp ring editor and it's always going to the screen it should be, so on offsets I should be OK. The setup is complicated though, the 4 points on my ring are spread over 4 different DMaps, so I could still be forgetting some little thing somewhere. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I should mention that my warp ring points are all on a "BS-Ow" DMap type. Do warp rings not work on these? Since they weren't present in the original BS-Z this wouldn't be totally surprising.

ShadowTiger
11-20-2002, 09:29 AM
Well, that could be a problem. I would recommend starting over, with a 2 point warp. If it doesn't work then, then it's a bug. :shakeno:

Foxx
11-23-2002, 02:53 AM
Ah, thanks! You have just fulfilled the "hero" part of your name beautifully. Seeing your suggestion, I got an even better idea (and have implemented it). An old, glitchy quest will soon be brought into complete functionality.

Xyvol
11-28-2002, 04:21 AM
This problem has been driving me insane trying to get it to work. But I just finally solved my problem. Cloral's not kidding when he says "Make absolutely sure." My problem is that I had thought all along that one of the warps was on Dmap 11 when in actuality it was Dmap 10. And the Go button didn't help me notice, because those two Dmaps use the same regular map. So once I fixed that, it works prefectly. So my advice is check your mental work as well as the technical stuff. Or something like that.

idontknow
11-28-2002, 06:47 PM
using the new beta is it possible to use the ring warp to create the illusion that you can enter different houses from the same screen? in other words, can you set up an overworld screen to be a warp ring and then use cave tile warps to warp you to different "houses"?

Foxx
11-29-2002, 05:33 AM
I heard Cloral did something similar with a warp ring but that takes a vicious amount of arrangement. A simpler way to perform your task is with the use of pit combos. This explanation will be hypothetical since I've never done it before, but if you wanted two house entrances on one overworld screen, you'd have one be a normal house entrance while the other entrance would be a pit combo that drops you onto a stairway in a blank room, which takes you into the other house... you should get the idea.

idontknow
11-29-2002, 09:27 AM
i kinda thought that also...i'll try it out...

idontknow
11-29-2002, 01:06 PM
it doen't really work the way i want it to...i made one house entrance a cave 2 tile & the other entrance a pit...they both warp you to the same room...a shop...but the pit one warps you over stairs...these stairs, in the shop, then lead you to another room...when you use the pit warp, it does warp you over these stairs, however, not right away, you must walk off them and then back on...does this make sense?...i hope so, so that perhaps someone can teach me a better way of creating the illusion of warping to different rooms on the same screen.

VEL
11-29-2002, 02:02 PM
idontknow, please don't double post (posting twice in a row), it is against the rules. If you want to say something else please use the "edit" button.

idontknow
11-29-2002, 02:05 PM
a. i dont find anything wrong w/ double posting...and
b. i posted the second one hours after i posted the first...and
c. i didnt know it was against the rules...and finally
d. i just want some feedback on my questions/posts...i dont see why everyone is so hung up on grammar, double posting, etc...who cares?...afterall, aren't we here for the game in the first place?

VEL
11-29-2002, 02:18 PM
Double posting is against the rules here. I'm trying to let you know the rules, if you don't follow them someone might ban you. Here is a link to the Member Handbook which lists the rules. http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47164

Foxx
11-29-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
it doen't really work the way i want it to...i made one house entrance a cave 2 tile & the other entrance a pit...they both warp you to the same room...a shop...but the pit one warps you over stairs...these stairs, in the shop, then lead you to another room...when you use the pit warp, it does warp you over these stairs, however, not right away, you must walk off them and then back on...does this make sense?...i hope so, so that perhaps someone can teach me a better way of creating the illusion of warping to different rooms on the same screen.
OK, this is what I meant... the pit warps you onto the stairs, but the stairs aren't in the shop. They're on a blank screen which has nothing more than the stairs that take you to the shop (or, more pits to drop down onto other stair screens if you wanted to put 3+ separate warps onto one overworld screen). If you have to walk off and then back on the stairs for it to work, then sorry, but there must be more set-up needed that I don't know about. I just read somewhere that the technique involves pit combos.

idontknow
11-29-2002, 10:15 PM
could you make the overworld screen a 3 stair warp itself, and not the cave/item room?...if so, how?...this would make it possible to easily have multi-warps in one overhead screen...i think i understand ya now foxx but i want to be able to warp link directly to the different screens instead of showing him on the one room and then needing to walk off and then back on the stairs..also, you mentioned Cloral doing something with a warp ring, where'd you read about that and how could i contact Cloral and ask him?

Foxx
11-30-2002, 02:17 AM
Cloral's warp ring expositions were around a year ago. I don't feel like digging back down for them. If you wanted to know Cloral's technique, you could send him a private message and he should reply soon enough.

idontknow
11-30-2002, 09:07 AM
whats his e-mail name...perhaps, there should be a forum or some sorta way where you could see everybody's e-mail name

Foxx
11-30-2002, 09:43 AM
You don't need his e-mail. See the button labeled "Send PM" under everyone's posts? Hit the one under Cloral's and you're on your way to sending him a private message. AGN version e-mail.

AlphaDawg
12-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Provided you did follow the tutorial step-by-step, I know what the problem is, as I just got over a similar problem while working on Sarpadia.

Do NOT create tile warps to screen 81 on any screens in your warp ring. In fact, you do not have to go into the Tile Warp dialog at all while creating your warp ring. The warp to screen 81 is implied when you choose "three-stair warp" as your room type.

(I will remove this step from the tutorial as soon as I get a chance.)