PDA

View Full Version : I think this qualifies

Executioner of Deities
11-13-2002, 06:56 PM
I didnt even bother putting it in GD cuz I knew it would be burried and completely overlooked because im never here, and whose posting the post is all that matters, right? Board management is part of web development anyway, or am I about to get banned for flaming in the wrong forum?

I've been gone for a while...two or three months now, and my last five minutes here have reminded me precisely why I left. Just this one little thing from the local mod to this forum, Cyberkitten, warning against saying something to a specific member (check that Hey Eckels thread to see the precise quote). The rules and regulations all of you have to put up with is rediculous. A message board isnt supposed to be like this.

I think perhaps a reminder of what a message board really is may bring some light to your communist society. We go to message boards to have fun, speak with people, and discuss stuff...not to be hassled, and regulated, and walked all over because of a shitload of anal staff, and an enormous list of unreasonable rules.

For God sakes, get the fuck out of here guys. Why are you here? Have you even tried to look in on alternative communities? They're much better, beleive me. I wouldnt be saying this if it wasnt true. Why would I waste my time if what you were doing here and how you were doing it was the right way? It must mean something, right?

Well, i dont really wanna place a complete blame on warlord or the other staff either. Its just an escalation of an age old unsolveable problem; too many frkin people, and a few bad desicions by the staff. Warlord just kept adding staff as people rolled in, then people saw how many mods and admins there are here and immediately wanted to become one. That lead to some tight situations, and more rules. It just kept getting worse and worse. With the current management techniques and staff members, this board is way too overpopulated.

Also, I refuse to continue visitng this board, this is a one time thing, kind of an attempt to save you all from this boards corruption. Dont bother replying in flame to me, its just a topic for you all to discuss amongst yourselves.

Board to check out:
www.thegaminguniverse.net
www.afterblur.com

actually branhces of this board itself, but they are much better kept, and managed with a whole lot more logic and reasonability.

lynerd
11-13-2002, 07:04 PM
sorry EoD but i will have to move this to GD

Paradox
11-13-2002, 07:06 PM
if any of you edit what he said i want you to die

Foxx
11-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Whatever you say, bud. But I think this place is still great for popcorn entertainment once you're established in one of aforementioned alternative communities.

gdorf
11-13-2002, 07:25 PM
I've always respected what you have to say EOD, but I think that's a little overboard. If I weren't enjoying myself at AGN I wouldn't remain here. The staff never bothers me here. They have their guidelines and they follow them. I'm glad I can rely on the staff to come through. The members at AGN know exactly what we can and cannot do.

In fact, the one place where there are very few rules and people are allowed to do what they want is chat. And because of that I often don't enjoy chat. Personally, I don't think fun is indirectly proportional to the ammount of rules. If the moderators can keep a forum of 1000+ members in order and still have it reamin a fun place to hang out, kudos to them.

The only thing that really annoys me at AGN is all the topics like this. The staff is doing their jobs, and doing them well. If you don't like it.. leave. Preferably without a goodbye post to complain.

Shadowblazer
11-14-2002, 04:11 AM
There's one problem and only one problem with these boards.

You can't please all of the people all of the time

Yes, it's a cliche but it's 100% applicable. For example, some people think you should be able to flame wherever and whenever you want. Others think flaming should be deleted on sight. Who are we supposed to cater to? Either decision will piss off half of the members. But we have to make one, and everybody has to live with that choice. Then we have to try to enforce that rule as evenly as possible in every single future case of flaming. Any single slip will immediately incur the wrath of all the jackals that are sitting by just waiting to pounce on the staff for making a mistake.

So we make our decisions based on what we think will be best for the boards as a whole. Sometimes we make mistakes, but we try to learn from them. If you don't like the way that we do things, you're more than welcome to seek out an "alternative community." Nobody wants to force you to stay here against your will, and nobody wants you here at all if you're miserable. People like that just bitch and moan about the way things are run, and that makes them part of The Problem™

Which brings me to another point... if you hate us so much, why come back here at all? You sound like you're very happy at your new home, which is clearly much better than this hellhole ever could be. What purpose is served by returning to a place that's caused you so much grief and suffering at the hands of malicous staff members? Could it be that these superior forums you frequent aren't as active as you'd like for them to be, and you're trying to get the folks here to join you there and thus liven them up a bit?

:shrug:

Just a theory.

(By the way, might want to find out what a Communist is before you start calling people that. The fact of the matter is, if this board were truly Communist, everybody would be equal. That's clearly not what you're implying though. I guess you've been taught that Communism = bad, and since AGN = bad, then AGN = Communism, right?).
Originally posted by Paradox
if any of you edit what he said i want you to die Congratulations! I find the fact that you would suggest we'd even do such a thing more offensive than EoD's entire post.

Ibis, God of Magicks
11-14-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Shadowblazer

Communism = bad, and since AGN = bad, then AGN = Communism, right?

You slay me :laughing:

NEwho... umm, the way I look at it, if you don't like AGN, get the fuck out and stop trying to tell everyone else whats wrong with AGN.

cyberkitten
11-14-2002, 10:57 AM
eod, the post in question was made in cyclone's topic in official announcements. and the whole content of it boiled down to "hey eckels, go look at this". i moved it to the web development forum because it was about websites/development and suggested that in the future if he had a comment to make to a certain member that he do it by PM. it's common courtesy to not use a public message board to pass personal notes back and forth between yourself and another person. that's why we have PMs.