PDA

View Full Version : Hack suggestion: old topic warning

Verbatim
11-11-2002, 08:12 PM
It'd be nice if there were some kind of a warning when somebody tries to post in a topic that's more than a month old...I'm sick and tired of people topping old posts when I (or anyone else) makes a link to them...something like

This topic is more than (one/two/three etc.) (months/years) old. It may be out of date. Are you sure you want to post a reply?

Shadowblazer
11-11-2002, 08:24 PM
That might not be a bad idea... if it's not too difficult to code in, I'll see what I can do.

stormwatcheagle
11-11-2002, 08:45 PM
thank you shadowblazer, i'm shure it would help a lot of people. i know it would help me

Drunken Tiger
11-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Thats a pretty good idea why didnt we think of this earlier... :p

Tygore
11-11-2002, 10:09 PM
yes. then people who reply to old topics have less of an excuse. Also, this should be considered for voting in old polls.

Qusetonui
11-11-2002, 10:14 PM
Now we do not have to worry about people reviving old Zelda64Gld topics or hobtyui's "i like jason x couz it roks" threads from ages ago. This will also avoid the SSB hammering squadron coming out of nowhere. May this be a wonderful feature to be with us for a while...

Make sure that this feature does not cost a load of bandwidth.

Darunia
11-12-2002, 10:19 AM
It would be like that (IMO):

-You click "Submit reply"
-A Window pops saying (This topic is (Time) old. are you sure you want to post? And two butons, "yes" and "no".
-"Yes" leads (The main window, the one that popped then closes) to the "thank you for posting!", "no" leads to the topic.

I don't think is TOO big for eat a lot of bandwitch.

teddyboy420
11-12-2002, 12:28 PM
What's the big deal about reviving an old post? In some cases it would be good to revive an old one rather than see 5 posts on the same topic.

Saffith
11-12-2002, 01:02 PM
Mostly it just annoys people. But there are reasons; in the ZC suggestions forum recently, someone brought up an old thread to tell people their suggestion was already implemented, when it hadn't been at the time.
Stuff like that. Posts become irrelevant, debates are settled, and so forth.

Ich
11-12-2002, 01:11 PM
At another forum, you hover your mouse over the title of the topic on the main page, and it tells you when the first post in the thread was made. Saves lots of trouble avoiding them in the first place, or you can use the feature to find topics to go in and rent-a-mod in, which ever you are inclined to do.

Qusetonui
11-12-2002, 05:58 PM
How about the warning, ban, month ban and perma-ban system to be used if the person decides to revive an old post a while back?

The warning system would come in handy depending on how old it is... does anyone agree with me or is that too hard on the poster and strict punishment by the moderator or do you disagree with the warning system being used for reviving a topic?

Saffith
11-12-2002, 06:09 PM
No reason to punish people for it. There's no rule against it, you know.

KJAZZ
11-13-2002, 01:11 AM
5Q5, or "Alucard" as you preferred to be called: That is way too much of a punishment. I myself enjoy the nostalgia of seeing old posts from 2001 and older. Plus, only a few people and AlexMax get annoyed by it. Also, the people who reply saying "YUO GRAVEDIGGD AN OLD TPOIC MI TELLIGN!!11" are just making it worse by spamming. So, IMO, everyone should just loosen up, and ignore it if someone brings back a topic from September 2000. ;)

teddyboy420
11-13-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by KJAZZ
5Q5, or "Alucard" as you preferred to be called: That is way too much of a punishment. I myself enjoy the nostalgia of seeing old posts from 2001 and older. Plus, only a few people and AlexMax get annoyed by it. Also, the people who reply saying "YUO GRAVEDIGGD AN OLD TPOIC MI TELLIGN!!11" are just making it worse by spamming. So, IMO, everyone should just loosen up, and ignore it if someone brings back a topic from September 2000. ;)

I agree, even a warning would be out of hand, that's like a year in jail for a parking ticket. Isn't it better to revive an old topic than just starting a new thread about the same thing?

I really do not see what the big deal is :shrug:

Ian
11-13-2002, 02:56 PM
It does get annoying sometimes, cause many times, the posts that bring them back are irelevant, and aren't worth posting in the first place. But I like the wanring thing , but how far back wold the posts have to be from before you get the message, if it does get implimented?

Dart Zaidyer
11-13-2002, 03:14 PM
There's already a way to tell how old a topic is, just check the datestamp on the first post.
If an old-post alert isn't installed we should make it clear in the Member Handbook to check the date of a thread if it's not on the first couple pages of the threadview before replying.