PDA

View Full Version : What happens when fps meets strategy? A cool looking Half-life mod, that's what.

vegeta1215
11-10-2002, 11:17 PM
I dunno, but from the looks of it, it looks pretty damn cool, check it out: http://www.planethalflife.com/features/motw/ns.shtm

I'm glad to see mod makers out there are striving to do something different. Alot of people think there's not much worth in playing around with old game engines, but if they only knew...

MottZilla
11-10-2002, 11:19 PM
Blizzard is making Starcraft ghost which is a FPS I beileve.

vegeta1215
11-10-2002, 11:24 PM
I should probably change the topic name. This is more like a fps game thats also a strategy game, like Starcraft.

Is that what Starcraft Ghost is gonna be like? I was under the impression that it was just a fps with Starcraft characters and storyline

MottZilla
11-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Well, all I can recall is starcraft FPS. Wether there is a story or not (but i think there is) I'm not sure.

3-Headed Monkey
11-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Isn't Counter-Strike, the Half-Life mod an FPS/Strategy? I know that usually the people just go out and do their own thing, but sometimes people take charge and divise a strategy. And a lot of times, they win because of that.

El Oso Verde
11-11-2002, 01:35 AM
Natural Selection is more like FPS+RTS.

You actually build buildings and such.

If you play as the marines, you have one player who becomes the commander and he gives orders to the other marines (build this, kill that etc.) ala starcraft.

The aliens however, act like every unit of the zerg in one. You start off as a skulk (zergling type alien), with one hive. From that you can "gestate" into other forms depending on how many resources you have. I spend most of my time as aliens playing gorge (builder alien) constructing turrets and upgrade centers.

I highly reccomend reading the manual first. Trust me, it helps. Otherwise you'll just be wasting the team's resources and time having them explain everything to you.

Once you get the hang of it, it's really fun though.

I've been playing since it came out, and I'm still surprised by some of the tactics I see pop up.

zables
11-11-2002, 06:06 AM
'Thats a half life mod that im gonna take a look into, it looks awesome,
ive never played any form of half-life online, although i own Half-Life, Opposing Forces, and Blue Shift :)
is it hard to setup the mods and the maps and all that? cuz im no good @ using hte consol, i dont have a bit of programming in my blood, im horrible.

El Oso Verde
11-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Nope, you don't need to use the console at all really.

Well, unless you accidentally get stuck in a building. Then you might have to type /kill to kill yourself.

AlexMax
11-11-2002, 04:21 PM
It IS fun. But it crashes the compute rI play it on too much. And it gets laggy when so many ppl are on a server.

I'm still looking for a mod that could possibly match SVEN co-op. Still the funnest mod eveer IMHO.

3-Headed Monkey
11-11-2002, 05:32 PM
I didn't play much of SVEN co-op, but I like Quake and Quake 2 co-op much better. There was another FPS co-op game I liked more, but I actually can't remember what it was.

teddyboy420
11-11-2002, 07:56 PM
Sounds interesting, maybe a reason to go out and get half-life? I'm not big on FPS's too much, but I do like RTS, and it sounds like a damn cool combination of the two.

KingArthur
11-12-2002, 03:06 AM
Isnt BattleZone an FPS/RTS?