PDA

View Full Version : quest selection?

JILost
11-10-2002, 04:28 PM
I did read the "be-all and end-all" thread about selecting a quest. It didn't answer my question and talked about things I never saw.

The above thread mentioned something about an error message about an F Drive, which I never saw. When I start zelda-w.exe, the first thing I get is the Armagedon Games logo, then the Zelda title screen. The only thing I see related to quest selection is in the gui, and is "Quest Dir..." I select this and a dialog comes up which appears to want me to select a quest. I select one and press "A" (actually button 2 on my joystick, but the NES A button) and the dialog goes away. I'm left with the default NES Zelda quest, with no way of changing it.

I'm using 1.92 build 163.

Along the same lines, what ever happened to the original Zelda quest with BS graphic tiles? I'd like to play that one again. I downloaded one which was supposedly a Zelda 2 game, but since there's no way to change quests, I can't play it (due to not being able to select it).

plith
11-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Have you been able to play the regular game, or is it stuck on the title screen? If you're still on the title screen, and hitting ENTER (Start) isn't bringing you to the main menu, then maybe your controls are messed up, so you would change those in the options menu. If you are at the main menu, where you create the character to play the game, just make a new file, press A (ALT) twice, click Browse, and it'll take you to a dialog box similar to the Quest Directory one (the one you used before changes the directory in which ZC looks for all quest files). Pick your quest in this box instead.

JILost
11-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Ah ha! Yes, I could play fine and everything worked, I just never got the dialog allowing you to pick the quest on a new file.

So, whatever happened to the BS-ized version? It used to be included with ZC, if I recall. Is it uploaded in the resurrected QDB folder somewhere?

Teilyr
11-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Sadly, I don't think 163 came with all those nifty example quests. I can probably find them if I look hard enough though... Yep. Here we go. Thing is, this is the 1.90 version. As far as I'm aware, there wasn't another version made for the beta.

http://teilyr.netfirms.com/example_bs1st.zip

Question though.. Why do you wanna play the 1st quest so bad? Nostalgia?

Also, are you the same JILost that makes those fantastic midi files? If so, nice to meet you. :)

ZeldaLord
11-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. A few quests have your midis in.

JILost
11-10-2002, 05:52 PM
In answer to the questions:

1. I downloaded 1.92 and the Zelda 3 sounds and decided that I also wanted SNES graphics, so playing that BS1st with Zelda 3 sound effects would be pretty interesting. That, and I always liked that quest anyway.

2. I am one in the same. It's always weird to think that people recognize me as a sequencer. Since I rarely get any e-mail about it (I used to), I assume no one's really paying much attention. On that same note, though...I tend to be dissatisfied with some of the MIDI files used in these quests, because I expect them to sound more like the game. I even thought about doing sequences of the BS versions of the songs for a future version of BS1st, just to give it that full-on BS feel...but that never ended up happening. Maybe one day, I'll make my own quest with nothing but custom-made MIDI's....though I doubt that'll happen any time soon, either, heh.

Do you happen to know which quests use my sequences? I'd be interested in having those, if only just for ego value

VEL
11-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Here is the newest version of BS1st http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58122 the actual quest is almost the same as the 1.90 version, but if you want to edit it there are more tiles to choose from.

ZeldaLord
11-10-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by JILost
In answer to the questions:

1. I downloaded 1.92 and the Zelda 3 sounds and decided that I also wanted SNES graphics, so playing that BS1st with Zelda 3 sound effects would be pretty interesting. That, and I always liked that quest anyway.

2. I am one in the same. It's always weird to think that people recognize me as a sequencer. Since I rarely get any e-mail about it (I used to), I assume no one's really paying much attention. On that same note, though...I tend to be dissatisfied with some of the MIDI files used in these quests, because I expect them to sound more like the game. I even thought about doing sequences of the BS versions of the songs for a future version of BS1st, just to give it that full-on BS feel...but that never ended up happening. Maybe one day, I'll make my own quest with nothing but custom-made MIDI's....though I doubt that'll happen any time soon, either, heh.

Do you happen to know which quests use my sequences? I'd be interested in having those, if only just for ego value

Your Cast;levania one are common, just look around. ;)