PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Contradictions

3-Headed Monkey
11-09-2002, 01:28 AM
I was surfing and thought I'd post this here.

http://www.conservativetruth.org/archives/charlesperry/06-09-02.shtml

Very interesting, although it's mainly stating the obvious, it's mostly the way he explains it that I find interesting.

Menokh
11-09-2002, 01:31 AM
You do know that it is VERY possible to point out contradictions and mistakes for both liberals and conservatives, right? There is plenty of blame to go around. Neither side is right all the time, they both have fucked up, and both do to this day.

Republicans bash democrats, and democrats respond by bashing republicans, and it goes around in a circle(not saying any one side started it, there is no telling on that). It seems to be a never ending cycle of dirty politics.

3-Headed Monkey
11-09-2002, 01:35 AM
I'm just posting this site, not really doing anything. But, I'd like to hear what you think are Conservative contradictions.

fatcatfan
11-09-2002, 01:37 AM
Though his points are valid, I have to say that article was rather poorly written and in bad taste. It's one thing to make an observation of contradictions. It's another thing to make fun of them for it.

Tygore
11-09-2002, 01:44 AM
The funniest things in life are true.

3-Headed Monkey
11-09-2002, 04:15 PM
I'd like to see some actual responses to this page, something better than what Menokh said.

In other words, don't try to put equal blame on the Conservatives unless you back it up.

Starkist
11-09-2002, 04:23 PM
In defense of the liberals, remember that anything left of center is considered "liberal". A reason that there are many contradictions is that there are still many different viewpoints represented under a single label, just as with conservatives.

That said, I do find single people within the liberal philosophy who are contradictory in this way. It is eerily similar to Orwell's concept of "doublespeak" from 1984: the ability to believe two separate contradictory things so that when the need arises for one, you can wholeheartedly believe it as much as the other.

3-Headed Monkey
11-09-2002, 04:28 PM
I understand that there are liberals that contradict each other while not contradicting themselves, but from what I understand, this article is about the people who contradict themselves.

Lilith
11-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Liberals suck, conservatives suck, Democrats suck, Republicans sucks. Fundies suck, and also non-fundies. Notice a pattern here? People suck. Misanthropy, however, kicks ass.

AtmaWeapon
11-09-2002, 05:48 PM
I think James Madison said it best in Federalist No. 10 (http://memory.loc.gov/const/fed/fed_10.html):

Complaints are everywhere heard from our most considerate and virtuous citizens, equally the friends of public and private faith, and of public and personal liberty, that our governments are too unstable, that the public good is disregarded in the conflicts of rival parties, and that measures are too often decided, not according to the rules of justice and the rights of the minor party, but by the superior force of an interested and overbearing majority. However anxiously we may wish that these complaints had no foundation, the evidence, of known facts will not permit us to deny that they are in some degree true.

Most of the founding fathers did not like the idea of factions (parties). Party politics have ruined American government in more ways than you can count. It's not the fault of anyone; people naturally form factions.
"It could never be more truly said than of the first remedy (removing liberty), that it was worse than the disease. Liberty is to faction what air is to fire, an aliment without which it instantly expires." However, factions are a dangerous thing and I think the parties are out of control these days.