PDA

View Full Version : I have a quick question:

Beldaran
11-07-2002, 03:04 PM
I have a quick question about video screenshots and I figured perhaps some one here would have some knowledge about it.

It seems as though I used to be able to take screenshots while watching DVD's and windows media files. Now I am not able to. The screen is just black when I paste my screenshot into photoshop.

Is there a way to take screenshots of video files?

And what can't I take normal screenshots anymore? What happened? Was there a windows update that took that away or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

[BTW- I've quit posting everyelse as well and I'm involved in a full fledged vacation from the internet. I still check my own forums, but that's it. I was just stopping by to ask this question, but since I'm here I'll say HI GUYS!:)]

Dart Zaidyer
11-07-2002, 03:19 PM
It looks like they've finally created a PrintScreen killer, because it can capture everything BUT the video.

Damn those corporate freedom-squelchers...

DukenukemX
11-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Use HyperSnap instead of print screen. It can capture anything.

inori
11-07-2002, 04:28 PM
I had a similar problem with trying to take screenshots of the game I'm working on, which uses DirectX. This may or may not be relevant to your situation (I believe that at least some DVD player programs use DirectX).

I hit the Print Screen key while my game was running, and got a blank white screen. The fix for me was to go to the DirectX control panel and check the "Enable Print Screen Key" box under the DirectDraw tab. The only problem? If my memory serves, I didn't even have a DirectX control panel until I downloaded and installed the DirectX SDK (software developers' kit). If you're not actively writing DirectX games on your computer, you probably won't have the control panel either.

AlexMax
11-07-2002, 09:33 PM
I beleive it depends on your video card or something, because I have been able to sucessfully use the print screen trick to get (paused) video from .ram and .avi files as long as they were in a window. Dummo about real DVD's though, because I don't own a DVD-ROM for my computer.

MottZilla
11-07-2002, 09:36 PM
Use VirtualDub from vdub.com to open the video file and you should be able to extract any frame from any video.

I believe the blank screen in print screen shots is due to the way movies are rendered by programs.

gdorf
11-07-2002, 10:03 PM
If you have linux try using xine, sofar it is the only thing I have been able to save video images with.

Frustrating, huh.. being able to see it on the screen but not being able to save it. :tongue: