PDA

View Full Version : Finished Final Fantasy X, finally.

Daarkseid
11-06-2002, 11:19 PM
This is another one of those posts with alot of info specific to Final Fantasy X itself, so if you haven't played the game, you may not get the references.

Around the time my PC died, I started playing Final Fantasy X again from where I last left it, at 80 hours and ready to go battle Sin.

TSA had, awhile ago, gone on this board and bragged about defeating the hardest optional boss in the game, Nemesis, with aggrandizing tales of making his own "Legendary" weapons and armor. I had vowed with myself to do this and more, and so I have.

I spent another 280 hours getting all the legendary weapons, then getting the Crests and Sigils for them(which requires winning nearly almost all of the mini-games with the best possible results). In the end, I wound up winning 98 games of Blitzball just to get the Saturn Sigil. I also captured 10 of every monster in the monster arena, defeated all the Area Conquest bosses, the Species Conquest bosses, and the Original Creations bosses at the arena. I also beat Nemesis, several times in hopes of getting a Break HP armor with 3 customization slots.

Then there was the sphere grid. First I customized for my characters weapons that had the Triple AP ability, the Overdrive->AP ability and the Triple Overdrive ability. In battles with up to 3 enemies, a character with the Slayer overdrive option would gain about 7 or 8 spheres levels for killing all 3. This would give my characters the sphere levels necessary to move through the grid, activating all nodes, and then filling empty nodes with Attribute spheres. When this was done, all empty nodes filled and all characters having their grids fully activated, I moved slowly from node to node, clearing lower attribute spheres and filling them with higher attribute spheres, with the intention of maxing all of my character's stats at 255. Getting each character's Luck to 255 was a bitch.

All of my 7 characters luck stats start out really low(around 14) and never increase throughout the game because Fortune spheres necessary to activate luck nodes are non-existent(except in the final areas where you might find a few in chests). Getting the luck spheres necessary to produce enough luck nodes on the grid requires killing several Greater Spheres, which are nasty SOBs because they counter every attack with Ultima, and take awhile to kill. Then I had to win the 300 or so Fortune Spheres to activate these nodes by killing 150 or so Earth Eaters, another nasty monster Arena boss who is the sole source of fortune spheres. While its standing, it can counter attack with an instant death attack, and while its on its back, it counters with Flare. It takes about 14 hits to kill, assuming each hit does 99,999 damage.

While I was maxing my stats, I had to kill several Black Elementals, who on rare occasion drop Tetra Armors, which posesse 4 customization slots. I had to get at least one for each of my characters so I could customize what I deemed to be the ultimate armors for each; the customizations I would add were Break HP limit(allowing a character's HP to exceed 9999), Break MP limit(allowing a character's MP to exceed 999), Auto-Haste, and +30% HP. With these armors and their grids optimized, a character's HP would average at 68,000 and their MP at 3000.

I did all this before I went deeper into the final dungeon, and I almost wish I hadn't, because everything that was thrown at me was killed immediately by Auron(whose legendary weapon has first strike) when he attacks first and does 99,999 damage. The final battle was also just as pathetic.

Rijuhn
11-07-2002, 02:26 AM
I've never played FFX but I've read a fair amount about it and heard even more from my friends. So what I can tell from what you did was amazing. But someone could still argue (if they wanted to) that they got all that you got in under X hours and X minutes. To this day I've yet to fully beat a video game.

Blonde799
11-07-2002, 04:10 AM
Hey Daark, will you ever tackle the dark aeons? Heard those mo-fos were complete assholes, and need equipment like the stuff above to even have a fighting chance.

Daarkseid
11-07-2002, 05:12 AM
The Dark Aeons are only in the European/International release, or so I'm told. My copy is of course the North American release.

mike5000
11-07-2002, 11:18 AM
man I still have to beat my FFX! I am at the part where you first get your airship.

teddyboy420
11-07-2002, 12:52 PM
FFX was awsome, it took me 186 hours to do everything, and IMO, it was well worth it. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for trading it at EB for something, which BTW I can't even remember what I traded it for (what a waste).

I really liked just about every aspect of FFX, the weapon customization, sphere grid, and battle system were all the best to date. While Blitzball rivaled the card game from FFVIII for my favorite mini/side game.

Man. I HAVE to go and get a used copy so I can play oit all over again.

vegeta1215
11-07-2002, 01:01 PM
Wow, you guys have plaeyd this game longer than I have played Pokemon Red and Gold. I think I've played Red like 160 hours and Gold about 140.

I can't remember how long I've played some of my other RPGs. Chrono Trigger is way up there cause I restarted it many times and have almsot maxed out my levels. And I also got all 100 abilities for each character in FFV, and that took a while.

Anyways, FFX sounds neat. I'll have to read about the sphere grid and stuff, cause I have no clue how it works.

mike5000
11-07-2002, 01:41 PM
ha I have 4 completely beatin FFVII files with the clocks maxed out!

Blonde799
11-07-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by mike5000
ha I have 4 completely beatin FFVII files with the clocks maxed out!
Compared to all these other times, that's a low feat. I can do that easily anyway. Just get to N.C., prepare to fight the weapons, kill the weapons, and acquire sources for all my stats. Then I get slash-all, which will pretty much max out my time, and if it can go further, then some.:tongue:

Originally posted by Daarkseid
The Dark Aeons are only in the European/International release, or so I'm told. My copy is of course the North American release.
I already knew that. I wanna know if you're gonna buy it, and show them who's boss! Penance has the reputation of being the instant death master.:laughing:

Maverick_Zero
11-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Whoa, I often times just have two save files, One right before I fight the boss, and one in the boss area, which you usually can't leave. And then after I beat it, I go back and get the other stuff. But I've beatan FFX, and well, I'm not gonna put that much of my time into it like Daark did. :(

Aliem
11-07-2002, 07:57 PM
I've heard that FFX was pretty tough, but I've never played it. Are you going to get FFX-2?