PDA

View Full Version : Did GTA3 influence the sniper?

AlphaDawg
11-06-2002, 01:27 PM
I figured it would be only a matter of time until I found an article discussing that possibility...

Click here (http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?pnpID=811&NewsID=388260&CategoryID=9045&show=localnews&om=1)

Of course we all know that's a crock of shit... it was really the sniper's fundamentalist "Religion of Peace" beliefs that drove him to kill. But of course you'll never hear that from the liberal media.

mike5000
11-06-2002, 01:50 PM
I also heard the snipers where gay!! LOL

DarkPanther
11-06-2002, 01:51 PM
Tim Momyer said that at least one of the things being looked at is ``Grand Theft Auto 3,'' a PlayStation 2 game that lets players use a sniper rifle to shoot people, among other virtual acts of violence.
Bull, he just wants to play the friggin' game and get paid for his time. I don't suppose Silent Scope 1, 2, or 3 get the raised eyebrow. And what else is a game going to "let players use a sniper rifle" for? Administering enemas?!

``You're almost like a sniper in the video game,'' Momyer said. ``You take people out on the streets.''
You're almost like a hired loose cannon that searches for jobs on the streets to take gang rivals out, too. WTF?! He's just pissed because it is more fun to shoot the civilians who don't shoot back and watch them hop around with one leg or squirting blood 20 ft. in the air.

In ``Grand Theft Auto 3," once a player acquires a rifle, he can shoot people walking along city streets and in parks, including police officers. When a player uses the rifle, the video screen turns into a rifle scope with crosshairs. The player shoots, the rifle recoils as the shot is heard and -- if hit -- the target falls to the ground dead.
....imagine that. A game that lets you decide what to do, and reacts as realistically as possible. This has GOT to be stopped!

``They were smart to follow up on the possibility that the snipers were gamers because games like that mimic the kinds of actions the snipers were taking.''
HAHA!! Yeah right! Who do they game with?! They must've sucked at games. If they play games like they "play" real life, they'd either be called campers or rail whores and kicked from the server.

I swear to God these articles are just written to amuse us.

El Oso Verde
11-06-2002, 02:03 PM
``Gamers will often say `I am God,' which was on the card,'' Walsh said.

..... LMFAO!!! http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/nick/smileys/mmlaughing.gif http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/nick/smileys/mmlaughing.gif http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/nick/smileys/mmlaughing.gif

Thunderbird
11-06-2002, 02:06 PM

Funny. I have never said this in a game :blah: .

I wonder if detectives ever looked at Silent Scope in the arcade. Hell, you play with a rifle! That would be a lot easier in terms of training than playing GTA3 on a PS2 controller would be :rolleyes:.

mike5000
11-06-2002, 02:09 PM
Mabey the sniper thought he was "turning on GOD mode for real life!!

LOL

slayer6896
11-06-2002, 02:19 PM
bunch of idiots targeting popular games because of the actions of two idiots that decided to go on a shooting rampage.

Menokh
11-06-2002, 04:04 PM
LMAO.
Remember the Columbine school shooting incident? Shortly after that the media(all kinds, liberal, conservative, christian, etc) was blaming it on violent video games, 'like Quake'. They said that if these kids hadn't played these violent games, they would never have murdered people in school that day.

Right..
I'm not the least bit surprised that this is happenning AGAIN with the Sniper case. People always look for a scapegoat, they look to blame someone else; it happened in Nazi Germany, it happened after September 11 to a degree, and it's happening now.

What can we do about it? Not much.

Mak-X
11-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Everybody knows that video games are just for kids and that video games encourage violence with their depiction of it, unlike movies, music, novels, and comic books which are all obviously not linked whatsoever, especially movies. And of course video games depict no form of expression, so they shouldn't fall under the first amendment.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-10-15

AlexMax
11-06-2002, 04:26 PM
"It wasn't my fault, it was Red Dye number 2 that they use to make Red M&M's!"

MottZilla
11-06-2002, 04:30 PM
That's retarded. And Silent Scope, you are a "good guy" shooting the baddies. There is no gore. No Blood. Still a very cool game. Anyways, i wish i could get payed to play video games. I'd be fucking rich as hell by now.

Foxy
11-06-2002, 05:56 PM
They'll use anything as a scape-goat these days. The real problem with these snipers and murderers and stuff is that they're psychos who have a few loose screws and can't handle normal life like the rest of us. Plain and simple. I don't like some of the games that are out now, either, but come on, let's be real here. It's just rediculous.

Dracula
11-06-2002, 07:03 PM
Well, that's a sweaty fly covered crock of bullshit... GTA3 being a scapegoat, why am I not surprised? If these guys were killing people on the streets, why would they need GTA3? Fucking assholes in the govt. don't realize its not games that influence people... If someone plays GTA3, then they go and kill someone, that's because they had the idea BEFORE he bought GTA3... duh.

Mak-X
11-06-2002, 09:32 PM
Sometimesah, when I geta done playing the mario bros. gamea, I get the urga to stompa the evil mushrooms and jumpa the turtles in the zooa. I skinna the racoonsah to makea the racoon suit so I can fly. Sometimesah I likea to light somea baseballs and throw them at the zoo animalsah, especially the turtles. And someah times I like to talka like this.

Dart Zaidyer
11-06-2002, 09:34 PM
I guess it's too late right now, but we really need politicans in the government who know what the hell they're dealing with when it comes to technology and gaming and stuff.

MottZilla
11-06-2002, 09:43 PM
ha. Politician and Technology are complete opposites. One or the other. Kinda like retarded or intelligent. ;p

Artevoi
11-06-2002, 10:19 PM

Funny, it seems quite difficult to say that when you're getting the beaten down from an shitload of enemy robots in Bangai-O, getting PK'ed in PSO, having Seaman chew you out for forgeting to feed him, or doing anything other than abusing cheat codes/easier skill levels.

teddyboy420
11-06-2002, 10:49 PM
I'm so sick of seeing shit like this. I know there are alot of stupid people out there, but c'mon that is just pure idiocy.

BTW, I AM GOD AND I WILL NOW GO AND KILL EVERYONE I SEE WITH MY UZI, WHILE RIDING MY DIRTBIKE. AFTER THAT, I WILL GO AND FIND A BIG OL' MANSION OWNED BY A CUBAN COKE BARON, KILL HIM W/ SAID UZI AND SET UP SHOP TO RUN THE CITY. BWAHHHAAA

Stay tuned for what I'll do next (That's as far as I've gotten in the game so far.