PDA

View Full Version : Metroid 2... Color!

KingArthur
11-06-2002, 02:35 AM
Hehe... fooled you, bet you thought I was going to say that Nintendo was remaking it =)

Actually, Thanks the that nifty little GB colorizer Program that Warlock(?) pointed out to everyone. I am working on colorizing Metroid 2, Its the easiest thing I have found to do it to, as the graphics are drawn in such a way that I dont have to modify any of them to make it look good. Its looking pretty good so far and I'll post some screenies soon.

After I'm done with Metroid I'm going to work on Mario Land color. I started this first, but I discovered that many of the tiles will need to be redrawn to work well.

MottZilla
11-06-2002, 02:37 AM
Sounds like a fun project. However from what I've heard how it works can screw up the rom so sensitive emus won't execute it.

Mak-X
11-06-2002, 04:39 AM
I came here hoping to hear of Nintendo releasing Metroid 2 in color :(

good luck

Dart Zaidyer
11-06-2002, 08:57 AM
EDIT: I found it, but it screws up the ROM and inverts all the colors once I edit things in Metroid 2... However, Samus is nice and detailed now.

Joshua Milton N
11-06-2002, 10:01 AM
Goog luck KingArthur because you'll need it.

KingArthur
11-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Nah, it aint that hard. From what I remember it screws up the rom header, so Ill just have to try and repair it. The roms work fine in VBA, which is what everyone should be using anyway. Ill test the rom on actual hardware when I get the chance.

Thenks for the encouragement guys :D

Demimore
11-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Meh. I dont care.... I dont like Metroid that much anyways.... But they should release a new super metroid game for GBA.... If they havent already done that....

AlphaDawg
11-06-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Demimore
Meh. I dont care.... I dont like Metroid that much anyways.... But they should release a new super metroid game for GBA.... If they havent already done that.... Metroid Fusion will (hopefully) be even better than Super Metroid. I'm counting on it...

Daarkseid
11-06-2002, 01:43 PM
Actually, Metroid 2 looked surprisingly well colored on the GBC. Samus is actually yellow with the Red helmet until the Varia suit is picked up, then she's orange with red, and her ship is the right color too. Of course, aside from this, most of the terrain and enemies use the same sets of colors, but it was amazing nonetheless to see Metroid 2 come out looking as good on the GBC for being such an early Game Boy game.

Megatron
11-06-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by KingArthur
Actually, Thanks the that nifty little GB colorizer Program that Warlock(?) pointed out to everyone. I am working on colorizing Metroid 2, Its the easiest thing I have found to do it to, as the graphics are drawn in such a way that I dont have to modify any of them to make it look good. Its looking pretty good so far and I'll post some screenies soon. Soon?!? Bah, what a tease :p I was hoping for at least a shot or two to get me excited ;)

How's that colorizer program work anyway? I've heard it mentioned before. Does it let you color everything in the game on a sprite by sprite basis?

Hmm, maybe I should head over to Zophar's and check it out myself :D

MottZilla
11-06-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by KingArthur
Nah, it aint that hard. From what I remember it screws up the rom header, so Ill just have to try and repair it. The roms work fine in VBA, which is what everyone should be using anyway. Ill test the rom on actual hardware when I get the chance.

Thenks for the encouragement guys :D

If you test it on real hardware you should REMOVE the header all together.

KingArthur
11-06-2002, 05:44 PM
It lets you make sprite and background pallates, and lets you assign them to the normal 8x8 tiles, its actually pretty easy to do (especially now that I discovered how to activate the in program tile editor)

*edit* oh yeah, can anyone post that image anonymiser thingy so I can post some screenies?

MottZilla
11-06-2002, 05:46 PM
How bout just making a gif and putting it on angelfire. That ussually works.

Maverick_Zero
11-06-2002, 07:15 PM
YAY! Metroid 2 color. :tongue: yeah, I would like to see hwo this looks.:eyebrow:

Dart Zaidyer
11-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Well I've wasted most of my sprite palettes on Samus's armor, but she sure looks pretty! I've also made the main background brown-orange as indicated in Fusion.

Mak-X
11-06-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
Actually, Metroid 2 looked surprisingly well colored on the GBC.

It looks great on Game Boy Advance too, I played it for a little bit, also easier to see everything and where you are, probably just the same as GBC's change.

KingArthur
11-06-2002, 09:16 PM
I dont wanna go throught the trouble of starting an Angelfire account, especially when I can just post them at my existing site, I also wanna be able to use it to fix my sig pics