PDA

View Full Version : Curious about emulation

VGWarrior
11-04-2002, 12:49 PM
I know that NetPlay is offered on many genesis and super nintendo emulators.

However, has any of the Game Boy or Game Gear linkup emulation been perfected yet?

I wish to know, for I have less than 20 hours left on a game.

teddyboy420
11-04-2002, 02:17 PM
20 hours? You mean before your 24 hour time limit on a rom runs out? :lol:

Wow, you're the first person I've seen who will actually only keep a rom for 24 hours and then get rid of it.

Besides myself, of course :rolleyes:

deathbyhokie
11-04-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by teddyboy420
20 hours? You mean before your 24 hour time limit on a rom runs out? :lol:

Wow, you're the first person I've seen who will actually only keep a rom for 24 hours and then get rid of it.

Besides myself, of course :rolleyes:

me too:rolleyes: i haven't had roms for 3 years now:rolleyes: or roms that i never play but still sit on my hard drive:rolleyes:

Ian
11-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by VGWarrior
I know that NetPlay is offered on many genesis and super nintendo emulators.

However, has any of the Game Boy or Game Gear linkup emulation been perfected yet?

I wish to know, for I have less than 20 hours left on a game.

I don't think there is a GB, or GameGear emulation linkup. And you can keep roms for as long as you want, that rule is something guys made up to protect their asses, but it's still illegal, even if you do own the original cartrige

Thunderbird
11-04-2002, 03:06 PM
I do not know of any GB/GG emulators that even support netplay.

VGWarrior
11-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Well, when you are sick, it's not like you have a lot to do...so I'm trying to stay within my legal limits.

The question was more of a curiosity, though, since I'm actually playing a NES game within my 24 limit.

itschris
11-04-2002, 06:27 PM
Like Ian said, that 24-hour rule is just made up. It's just as illegal to keep a ROM for an hour as it is to keep one for a month. It really makes no difference.

It's not like it matters much, though. The cops aren't going to come to your house and arrest you for having ROMs. It's about the same as downloading copyrighted MP3s.

Mak-X
11-04-2002, 06:47 PM
Yeah, the 24 hour rule was just made to make it sound ok to play roms on websites.

The only legal place to play ROMs besides from the game companies themselves, is to go out and buy your own generic rom dumper and make your own rom from the cartridge you have since its yours, and its within the backup rules, this is how www.consoleclassix.com can do a business of renting out roms, which is a great place for legal emulation btw.

DukenukemX
11-04-2002, 07:11 PM
If the government ever saw my HD they would need to execute me. I think since 1996 I have backed up all my roms I ever found. I remember downloading Mario 64 before UltraHLE came out and I still have that rom to this day.

You see the trick is to cover your ass. It's real simple. First you download the rom you want. Then you back it up seeing it's very hard to find off the net. Finally you play the game and don't care. They don't have a government agent that goes door to door checking your PC or pay a guy to sit on his computer all day to track every person out their.

VGWarrior your the first person I ever saw that goes by this rule. It's fake and I think Nintendo said this was still illegal even if you own the game. Don't worry about it and enjoy your pixelated life.

MottZilla
11-04-2002, 08:03 PM
Copyright infringement for personal use is ussually overlooked anyway. So don't worry about it and grab all the roms you can get. As long as the companies are supported they don't have anything to whine about.

Thunderbird
11-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Mak-X: Console copiers are illegal in the US.

And yes, the 24 hour rule is completely made up (I'd like to know who made it up, because it is kinda ridiculous :P).

MottZilla
11-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Console Copiers are NOT illegal. They are just on the US Customs Seize list. Meaning you cannot import one unless you have it marked "cookies from grandma" or something. Anyways

Mak-X
11-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Generic epROM readers or something are not illegal, and that's what Console Classix uses. You can read up on how they keep it legal here
http://www.consoleclassix.com/legal.htm

MottZilla
11-04-2002, 10:25 PM
The things that are seized that are "console copiers" are things ilke the Super Wild Card DX2, and Doctor64. These allowed you to play roms on your actual game console, as well as make copies for emulator use, friends, etc. These will be seized. Buying a eprom reading device is perfectly legal, and I will get such a device with programming and reading roms, at some point.