PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion

gdorf
11-01-2002, 04:44 PM
I have a small idea for the forums, that I think might be greatly appreciated, especially by our dialup users.

I'd like to see an option that allows you to go straight back to the thread-view screen after posting. I find it rather pointless to go back to the thread you just read and contributed to, and I have always found it annoying to post - wait - load the thread - and then click out of it.

I think this would be a nice touch for the forums, and might not even need a hack.

DarkPanther
11-01-2002, 04:55 PM
I was pretty sure there was an option for that...

gdorf
11-01-2002, 05:05 PM
hm, maybe there is?

*checks CP*

edit: there isn't.. at least I don't see it.

Jigglysaint
11-01-2002, 05:15 PM
I just usually use quick reply, submit thread, then go back quickly and just retrace untill I get to the right forum.

Drunken Tiger
11-02-2002, 05:17 AM
This is a great idea gdorf!! I hope it gets taken into consideration!! :p

*hint hint*

Darunia
11-02-2002, 07:52 AM
Nice idea, it must be added

BTW: gdorf, you spelled "Beldaran" wrong in your sig...

Shadowblazer
11-02-2002, 10:17 AM
I think this would be a nice touch for the forums, and might not even need a hack.That is quite incorrect. It would indeed require a hack. Somebody would have to edit no less than four of the php files, add a custom field into the database, modify the redirect templates to reflect the change to where the user was being redirected to depending on their option, modify the edit options template so that users would be able to select said option in the cp... that somebody would also have to make a number of posts in order to test and make sure that their changes were actually having the desired effect.

That said, I've taken your suggestion into consideration and implemented it in a manner that I think should work for whoever would like to make use of this option. If you go to your User CP and go to edit options, you should find something new down at the bottom under "Other Options."

I've spent about an hour on this, maybe more. Barring any bug-fixes, it's done. If you don't like the way I set it up, tough luck. It's the best you're getting. If you do like it, enjoy :D

Darunia
11-02-2002, 10:27 AM
There, I offer myself to test the thing. Good luck, me... I hope to not be desintegrated(?) in the fast movement required for jump over two pages...

Didn,'t work, and yes, I changed the option in the user CP

Shadowblazer
11-02-2002, 10:29 AM
Hmm, according to the db you didn't set the option... When I do a search I'm the only one that has it set. I just went into my cp and set it and it worked. Maybe you didn't click hard enough ;)

Jemsee
11-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Saw it... changed it... testing,

edit: worked for me and I like it.
Nice idea gdorf.
Thanks SB!

Shadowblazer
11-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Yay, glad it works :D Now I can turn it off, I like to see what I just posted :p

deathbyhokie
11-02-2002, 01:49 PM
shadowblazer, you rock. thanks for all the good hacks :thumbsup:

stormwatcheagle
11-02-2002, 02:23 PM
Yes, this hack is good. it saves a lot of time(i'm a broadband user, BTW)

zora man
11-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Okay let's try this out.
*edit*
Works for me nice job.:thumbsup: