PDA

View Full Version : Wow... gAIM is an awesome messaging client....

Raichu86
10-31-2002, 08:45 PM
After using EveryBuddy (multi-protocol client for Linux) as my messaging client for about 1.5 years, I've finally migrated to gAIM, since root upgraded it (from version 0.1something to 0.59.5). At first I didn't think much had changed, but I soon discovered tabbed windows, and moved. Since it comes with plugins for multiple protocols, and does tons of stuff on AIM, it kicks EveryBuddy's ass. :D

I must say Linux users have it made now. This is almost as good as Trillian, except it's free. ;)

Here's a (humorous) screenshot:

http://zc.pixelclick.com/Stuff/gAIM.gif

Here's the gAIM site:

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/index.php

If you're running Linux and want to use IM services, you gotta get this program. I can't wait to see future versions of it. :)

LordMagus
10-31-2002, 09:17 PM
I just use AIM for Linux. gAIM looks cool, though. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

Raichu86
10-31-2002, 09:26 PM
I would have used AIM for Linux over EveryBuddy, but it is very lacking in features (there's like 5 check box options!).

gdorf
10-31-2002, 10:43 PM
Wow, I know what you mean gAIM is way cool. I haven't tried any of the plugins, but I really want to try the IRC one.

Cyclone
11-01-2002, 01:09 AM
"DIE!"

Er, I'm all right now. :kawaii:

Looks like you're all set now. :)

Cyclone

vegeta1215
11-01-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Raichu86
I must say Linux users have it made now. This is almost as good as Trillian, except it's free. ;)

If you're running Linux and want to use IM services, you gotta get this program. I can't wait to see future versions of it. :)

As good as Trillian? Ha, Gaim whoops Trillian's ass. Three words: Tabbed im windows. Also, buddy pounces and aliases are awesome.

I've taken a look at Everybuddy, and it does suck. The official AIM client isn't too bad, it's actually far better than I thought it would be, but it is lacking in features.

Oh yeah, there is a Windows port of Gaim in development. It's an alpha version now, but it works nicely.

Oh yeah, Raichu, way to go, another IceWM user ;)

Menokh
11-01-2002, 01:23 AM
Trillian has something similar to tabbed IM windows, they call it 'containers'.

Oh well, I would have to agree and say GAIM is much better anyway. Sad thing is I'm hardly ever using it because I rarely chat anyways.

AlexMax
11-01-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Raichu86
it kicks EveryBuddy's ass. :D

Clever play on words. ^_^

And yes, gAIM does rock. Even the Win32 port.

Drunken Tiger
11-01-2002, 09:03 AM
I dont use AIM often but i do use MSN!! :p:p

vegeta1215
11-01-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Drunken Tiger
I dont use AIM often but i do use MSN!! :p:p

It's called Gaim, but that doesn't mean AIM is the only protocol you can connect to. In fact, it has support for AIM, ICQ, Yahoo IM, MSNM, Jabber (very awesome), IRC, and a few others. So, if you wanted you could download it and jst use the MSN part.

btw, I'm on Gaim right now and I am signed onto on AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, and Jabber, all at the same time!

Raichu86
11-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
As good as Trillian? Ha, Gaim whoops Trillian's ass. Three words: Tabbed im windows. Also, buddy pounces and aliases are awesome.
Well, Trillian does have tons more features. But if you're going for less bloat, which I am, then gAIM is better. :lol:

I do like gAIM's tabbing system better than Trillian's. Those containers took me a while to figure out, and even then, the IM windows had to manually be maximized. :sweat:

Oh yeah, Raichu, way to go, another IceWM user ;)
:D I've tried many times to move to other window managers, but IceWM's speed and management of windows has kept me in its grasp. I'll never move. :laughing:

I'd be signing onto Yahoo as well, but Yahoo Messenger never sends me my activation email. :sweat: I've registered 2 accounts and tried 3 email addresses, no luck.

Cloral
11-01-2002, 07:50 PM
We have gAIM in the computer lab and I have it at home. Funn stuff.

theplustwo
11-01-2002, 08:09 PM
HOLY CRAP! YOU HAVE A SMASHMOUTH ICON! THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD! WOOHOO ANOTHER FAN! they aren't sellouts :sweat: so shut up all you naysayers!

EDIT: Can't wait for the new cd, spring 2k3! :D

EDIT2: post edited for content and to run in the time alloted.