PDA

View Full Version : I am now officially working on a quest

Jigglysaint
10-31-2002, 04:50 PM
Had been a while, but so far, with what I have, it's going well. The name of the quest is Shady Oaks 2, The Four Generals of Evil. Before there was an attempt to make it, but I ran into a block of some sort. This time, things are looking better. So far, I have an opening sequence, the inside of King Tom's castle, the basement, 3 interesting puzzles, a custom boss, and a non custom first boss final form that uses mod music. I will soon be adding a map room, which acts like an atlas of Shady Oaks, start making the outside of the castle and adding a better interior. The final game will include many areas, several cool bosses, plenty of things to do, such as events and such, all items from the current privite beta, much interaction, more Dip-dip bashing, will eventually feature King Tom, who will be dressed as a darknut(knight), and the slashing ability.

There will be a demo available when the next pubic beta comes out.

This reminds me, can anybody make darknut slash action tiles, as well as other link tiles? I'm not a good artist.

C-Dawg
10-31-2002, 05:23 PM
Well ho-lee-shit, Jigglysaint it making a quest. Bout time! Plotline sounds like RIse of the Sinistrals, or something... ;)

Anyway, get used to making your own tiles. If you're doing custom boss work.. or heck, making an interesting quest at all, you should be learning to tile edit. Its not hard at all since you have such a small sprite to work with and you can just copy and past existing sprites.

Try drawing and shading simple 3-d objects.. learn how the pixels look. Then apply that to larger ideas. For link, pay attention to how you own by exaggeratedly moves when you stab or something.

Go forth!

Jigglysaint
10-31-2002, 05:56 PM
Oh well, I guess I can get everybody to assume that Link is actually me, but I could try.

Now that I think of it, the plotline does resemble Lufia2, but there will be some differences: 1. Each General has a different element. 2. Once you defeat a General, it stays dead. 3. Each General had 2 forms, one is a custom bos, and the final forum is a standard enemy set to actual snes music(not lufia themed nessicarily). 4. There are other Dip-Dip bosses you have to destroy(like in the castle basement). Okay, so it's cheap that a lightbulb turns into an aquamentus, but as I said I suck at drawing(this is an actual learning disability, I have a hard time visualizing 3-D objects and such, it's easier for you since you can draw okay, or even draw a straight line). 5. More emphasis will be placed on story and puzzles, not graphic detail. 6. This not a clone of DOY, nor do I believe that it will ever attain as much popularity or quality, but keep in mind that C-dawg only was able to make his game because I pioneered a few key tricks now standard in most quests(the good ones anyway).

Also, I hope this will take a lot less time to make than DOY. It will have a differet feeling, and some of the things that it will contain will make it look hokey, but as I said, I will concentrate more on story and events than other things. Besides, I allready have got perfect, one room crystal switches working flawlessly(except they arn't animated).

ShadowTiger
11-01-2002, 11:21 AM
Oh. There are animated crystal switches in a lot of sets. Descendent, (I think. :shrug: ) PureZC, and the old Mystic Land Tileset has a good one. The trick is, once link realizes that he has to shoot an arrow at ones across water where he can't reach, what will Link do when he finds one that he can just slash? He would expect to shoot it with an arrow rather than slash it. Tough choice, if you ask me. That's why I make that crystal orb the one to slash, with the sharper crystal the one that Link can't reach. Always remember that...

What kind of dungeon planning have you done so far? The public yearns to find out! ;)

C-Dawg
11-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Planning, shamning. I want some screenshots :)

-C

Jigglysaint
11-01-2002, 05:31 PM
But if it is expected that the crystal switches act like the LTTP ones, I don't think it would be too hard to figure out.

As for screenies, even if I have some I really don't have a place to host them. Right now the first area is a tad plain.

Perhaps I can rip the sprite from LTTP.

Jigglysaint
11-04-2002, 07:33 PM
BUMP! I have decided to go with the purezc tileset as it has tiles I want and it has a better look.

This means that most of my work has to be re-done, but oh well...

plith
11-04-2002, 09:34 PM
I am now officially working on a quest

So am I... and so is at least half of everyone else here... I never really bothered to count.

Jigglysaint
11-04-2002, 10:36 PM
This is different, I have only published 1 quest before, none for 1.92.

plith
11-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Difference being? I have none, and neither do... well... pretty much all of the newbie questmakers.... and so on and so forth....

Raichu86
11-05-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
BUMP! I have decided to go with the purezc tileset as it has tiles I want and it has a better look.

This means that most of my work has to be re-done, but oh well...
Yay! I can't wait to see how you do on the quest. Show some screens soon. ;)

KJAZZ
11-06-2002, 01:06 AM
That goes for me too plith, only one demo of a quest released, and it was back in my first month or two of questing..but just you wait, one of these days..;)