PDA

View Full Version : GB -> GBC Rom Hacking Utility

Warlock
10-31-2002, 04:25 AM
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/gbutil.html

Check this out. It is called the GB Colorizer. I was messing around with it and the Metroid 2 rom, and it is pretty damn sweet! Essentially, you can setup (I believe) 8 Sprite palettes and 8 Background palettes, then assign them to various tiles. Metroid II isn't perhaps the ideal choice, as the inside of that rom is litterally an absolute mess (seriously, there is no particular order to where they place sprites, they have so many tiny 8x8 sprites that only fit in certain places, etc). I may have to test this baby out on some other stuff. But, from what I saw w/ Metroid II, it did a pretty awesome job. I actually colorized the Alpha Metroid! haha..

The only problem I could see was that it seemed to mess up the checksums of the roms. The readme says this might happen since it is a beta. I couldn't get many emulators to run the modified rom, except for No$GB which is quite possibly my least favorite GB emulator (no$ is complete bs, because it will not allow you to run GBC roms for more than a couple minutes unless you buy the licence, and even with regular gb roms you get bs bitching about ordering it).. for some reason No$gb makes everything way too bright.. it's a shame. I'd like to see it in dboy if it worked ;) hehe..

Anyways, I will have to try this with some less messy roms... hmm.. any suggestions? I'd do Zelda but that has kind of already been done w/ Zelda DX :D

MottZilla
10-31-2002, 05:11 AM
Try Visual Boy Advance (a GB,GBC,SGB, and GBA emulator) for running the modified rom. Next, the 8x8 tiles were probably just not assembled at all in an easily viewable order like other system sprites often are.

And No$GB is ok, and I used it for along while. Infact, it's quite easy to make a hack to give you unlimited GBC time. But, that's pointless as VBA is much better.

vegeta1215
10-31-2002, 09:31 AM
I used to use NOCA$H...until it started costing cash to play GBC games. One thing I liked about it was you could do something similar to what Warlock said, you could set up a pallette of 16 colors for regular GB games.

For instance, I had Final Fantasy Adventure, and I made all the scenery was greenish, my character was purple, my allies and many enemies were red and yellow. It was really cool playing like that.

MottZilla
10-31-2002, 06:13 PM
Ya, that is a neat feature. But still, I prefer VBA.