PDA

View Full Version : A Humanless Internet?

J.J. Maxx
10-30-2002, 09:32 PM
So everyone in the world dies but you...

http://www.gta3forums.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/whatsthat.gifHow long would the internet last? Ya know, without people... I wondered that today...

Maverick_Zero
10-30-2002, 09:37 PM
I think all the uses of AGN that are just a.i. programs, will download their minds into toasts, and jumpr around with batterypacks taped to themselves. The jocky toasters will overclock themselves, the nerdy ones, they won't get a toaster, they'll just wander around the internet, learning everything about anime, and gaming. But no new anime and no new games will come out.

AtmaWeapon
10-30-2002, 09:39 PM
Probably until the stuff at power plants that requires humans to run it fails. Then maybe as long as the backup power of the servers. Then you'd have nothing. :(

Ganonator
10-30-2002, 09:41 PM
ooh scary thought... but maybe i'd be on the net to check how every how everybody died.. haha.. um, i'd give it about a week.

Maverick_Zero
10-30-2002, 09:44 PM
Well, maybe a group of twelve different apes, gorillas, oranguatans, spider monekys, lemurs. ETC, band together, and learn guerilla warfare tactics, and single handedly conquet the world leaving only destruction in their wake. But after the humans die, where will the bananas coem from.:confuse2:

AtmaWeapon
10-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Last I checked, bananas grew by themselves. :shrug:

Samson007
10-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Well at least my connection wouldnt run so damn slow!

Anyway. All forms of online gaming would go down the shitter,
tv-down the shitter
movies-the shitter
computers-shitter(once it breaks down anyway)

Mr. 207
10-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Depends on how everyone in the world dies. If it were from something such as a nuclear war gone too far, obviously it would be gone right away.

If everyone died from disease? Hmm...probably not too long, maybe a week.

Jemsee
10-31-2002, 12:01 AM
I think the I-net would not last 5 mins w/out people.
If there was only one user, what would be the point.
Unless that one user wanted to look up an address or some constant information. Otherwise everything is sort of for a human by a human.
And people are constantly upgrading, and tweeking and checking connections 24/7.
Nope, w/out people to man it the I-net would die a quick death, IMO.

Menokh
10-31-2002, 12:10 AM
I think the net could stay online for about a year before all the root servers failed(there are 13 of them, all 13 need to go down for the entire net to go down). Before that, largely automated power plants would burn out taking parts of the net with them, but before any of that, large parts of the net would go with the people as many power plants need constant human supervision. Slowly the world's power would slowly begin to fail, taking servers and root servers with it. And the longer a server manages to retain power the higher the chance it will crash or die.

So by the time the net fully dies there would probably be very little left anyways(maybe www.goog.com).

MottZilla
10-31-2002, 03:06 AM
The internet would continue to operate until the software or hardware fails to the point that the internet is no longer able to communicate with other servers. It could last along time actually. If everyone suddenly vanished, and servers were stable at the time, they would continue to function.