PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be...

moocow
10-29-2002, 12:54 AM
Yesterday, for some reason, I just spontaneously said...

"Steve, teach me how to drive your truck!"

Well, I had never driven a stick shift vehicle before yesterday. Ever. I was SO scared....

I only killed it 3 times though. Well, the first time anyway. We drove around my block the first time, then Steve had to piss so we stopped back at my house.

The second time I killed it like 5 times before I even got to the stop sign at the end of my road. My driveway is MAYBE 100 feet from the stop sign. Then I killed it 3 times at the stop sign before I could get goin anywhere. I was fine from there on out...

Who can drive a stick and who can't?

Starkist
10-29-2002, 12:56 AM
I learned on a stick. My car is automatic though.

deathbyhokie
10-29-2002, 01:01 AM
i can drive either. my car(back home :() is automatic tho

Brasel
10-29-2002, 01:02 AM
I can't drive stick...but I want to learn.

slothman
10-29-2002, 01:05 AM
I can't drive stick and I don't want to learn. :D Automatic is for me being lazy as I am. In any case it sounds like you used up all nine lives of the truck. Oh wait that cats.

Thunderbird
10-29-2002, 01:09 AM
I regularly drive a stick. :)

Jemsee
10-29-2002, 01:12 AM
I too learned on a 3 speed manual transmission.
I have a 5 speed truck now but mostly drive an automatic.
I keep the truck for hauling stuff.
Driving a stick is fun. :)

moocow
10-29-2002, 01:14 AM
it wasn't easy, but it also wasn't as hard as I thought it would be...

he has tomorrow off, so I think he may let me drive some more. I refuse to drive in town, though... lol :)

Thunderbird
10-29-2002, 01:14 AM
Yeah, especially when you start to get up and go when the traffic light turns green and realize that the vehicle is not in gear ;). Done that a few times.

(EDIT)This was in response to Jemsee's post. Moocow's post snuck in front though :P.

Cyclone
10-29-2002, 01:19 AM
I don't want to EVER drive stick. I wouldn't be able to function it properly, or I'd forget after driving for a while. Even if I did finally pick it up, I'd be hunting for the stick when back in an automatic car.

Cyclone

JayeM
10-29-2002, 01:44 AM
I learned on a stick too, but I haven't driven one since a funky little Volkswagen I had about 20 years ago. I'd probably have to learn all over. As I recall, the hardest part is when you have to stop at a signal on an uphill slope and then get it going forward again without rolling backward into the car behind you.

Shadowblazer
10-29-2002, 02:18 AM
I could perhaps drive a stick if my life depended on it, but not that well. If anybody I knew had one I'd probably put forth the effort to learn. Unfortunately it's just worked out so that everybody I've lived with (including my parents) since I've been old enough to drive has always had an automatic.

inori
10-29-2002, 02:27 AM
My car's a stick. I heard a statistic that only like one in five US drivers knows how to drive one... Mine's fun though.

Drunken Tiger
10-29-2002, 03:23 AM
I just got my L's on MOnday!! :D:D

And i have killed it about 3 times... :p

Thats pretty good considering ive drived it 6 times in rush hour traffic!! :D:D

Im so proud of myself!! :D

Lone Wolf
10-29-2002, 03:49 AM
I Know how to drive. So...yea.

moocow
10-29-2002, 03:13 PM
I was gonna see if I could drive his truck today... but considering it's wet and rainy out, I don't think I'm gonna risk it. I'll not only kill the truck,b ut probably myself...