PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Christians

deathbyhokie
10-28-2002, 10:10 PM
ok, first and foremost, this thread is intended for Christians. ineed to aska Christianity related question, and i'd appreciate this not turning into a debate. thanks in advance.

now to the background, followed by the question. ok, i got saved at 12, but shrtly thereafter, i stopped praying/bible study etc. this continued until a month ago when i rededicated my life to Christ. my question is: how do i know God's will? i'm not sure on this, and would really like to know. thanks guys

AlexMax
10-28-2002, 10:30 PM
I just redidicated myself on Saturday. Trust me, you will know God's will when you see it.

If he wants you to do something, you will feel something inside of you that just says 'Go do it'. It's impossible for me to describe exactly, but you will know it when it hits you.

ShyGuy0824
10-28-2002, 10:35 PM
prayer or meditation, surprisingly enough will often help you out with problems.

God's will is something that is entirely unknown to us. The only thing that you do know is what he says is wrong and that you have a need to fix it. If you see a hungry kid, give him food. If you're tempted, resist. It's pretty straightforward in many situations.

deathbyhokie
10-28-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by ShyGuy0824
It's pretty straightforward in many situations.

i realize what it is in day to day situations. the main thing is that i'm in college and trying to decide on a major. and i'll really like to know God's will for me.

zfreak2004
10-28-2002, 10:50 PM
One of the primary ways that God speaks to us is through his Word. Get into the Word and you will find that God will bring passages to your mind or speak to you through certain verses. You might claim Psalm 91 when you're going through a rough time, or maybe identify with a character who went through something similar. God is glad to have you back, as are we.

Jigglysaint
10-28-2002, 11:18 PM
7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Sorry, I just felt I should mention that scripture.

The way to know God's Will, or at least be on the same level, is to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. If you have prayed, read the scriptures, thought, and advice from someone who has the spirit, then you should be okay concerning your decisions. You may not get a straight answer, or an answer right away, but if you try these things you will be on the right track.

Yesterday I recieved somthing which my church calls a "Priesthood Blessing". This is when 2 or more men, who have been ordained to the proper authority, lay their hands on my head and, in the name of Jesus Christ, act as a voice for the Lord so that I may know what His Will is, and help on what I can do to feel better. Basically I was feeling depressed. You see, with the sniper shootings, the various terrorist attacks, and such, I have felt a tad violent lately. I have had such a bitter anger, and I felt that the answer to these things was to spill blood(or others to spill blood). I knew this was wrong so I sought after comfort and I testify that it works! Now I realise that this is somthing that is church specific, and therefore somthing I can't really advise you to seek after, unless you are willing to try, but the other things I suggested still hold up.

One more thing: Just because we are not living in the olden days is no excuse to poo-poo the Old Testiment. Read it sometimes as you will find many things that, if motivated by the Spirit, can reveal many mysteries about God, and of other things. Remember that even Jesus taught from the Old Testiment.

Rijuhn
10-29-2002, 12:08 AM
Whenever I'm mad or faced with a problem that is serious I will go get my Bible (if I'm at home or someplace with a Bible) and just open to a completely random page. I sometimes will flip it backwards and upside-down and open to a page to make it even more random. I'll read a page before and a page after the one it opened to, so I get the full effect. If it doesn't solve my problem I'm usually calmed by reading the Bible, so it helps no matter what. Or I'll close my eyes and try to rationalize things (usually when I really mad or too emotional about something.)

I hope this helped.

Starkist
10-29-2002, 12:13 AM
Well, if you read Jesus' Sermon on the Mount you can see His will for you as a person, as a Christian. As for something more specific, keep reading His word, praying, and when you know what to do take a step of faith.

Jigglysaint
10-29-2002, 12:24 AM
Oh! I got a good joke!

Did you hear about the Christian programmers who tried to Emulate Christ? They tried but they just can't get a CD big enough to hold the rom. Besides, it's bad enought people killed him, now they are trying to pirate Him too-wait, wrong emulaton!

Glenn the Great
10-29-2002, 12:43 AM
C'mon guys! If you want to know God's will all you have to do is send me one little PM.

Jemsee
10-29-2002, 01:26 AM
Ignores Glenn and posts this,
John 17:3
3 This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14
13 The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the [true] God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole [obligation] of man. 14 For the [true] God himself will bring every sort of work into the judgment in relation to every hidden thing, as to whether it is good or bad.

Ask him from the heart and then listen for the answer.

Verman
10-29-2002, 09:41 AM
Gods will....

His will is whatever enters your mind at any time....

You see something and you get a funny feeling, wether its gas or just euphoria, you then say "ITS GODS WORD" and go do it.

You can get the same effect if you go smoke some pot.

God doesn't care about you, me or anyone else. Why would he? He is having way to much fun doing little things to the world and its peoples.

I used to be a christian went to church everyday until I was like 16. Ruined my goddamned (actully goddamned) life.

And that joke jigglysaint said was utterly stupid and made very little sense.

AtmaWeapon
10-29-2002, 10:11 AM
HA HA HA! Verman, you ignored the topic and the request of the topic starter to not turn it into a debate. You silly, silly man. I guess perhaps you can't read or something.

Verman
10-29-2002, 12:22 PM
No....Its just much more fun to do the opposite of what the topic starter said and actully start a debate...

Even though I didnt start a debate. I agreed that God exists but is not like they think he is...

But if you want no debate so be it...(cowards!)

teddyboy420
10-29-2002, 12:37 PM
I'm not a born again, or Mormon, or anything like that. I'm a Roman Catholic, I am devoted, but I don't make it my main focus. I think the way to know Gods will is just to do the next right thing. I don't think God will reveal himself to any of us like he did with Moses on the mount or anything like that. But,I think He speaks to you in hushed tones, you probably won't even know He is speaking to you. But really I think everything that happens is Gods will, the way everything unfolds, is the way God planned it too. Even when Satan manipulates someone or something, he is still working Gods will, though he dosen't know it.

Jigglysaint
10-29-2002, 05:09 PM
God is not in charge of temptation. Anything that is a temptor, or bad thing is of the devil and not of God. God permits suffering so that people with faith can be tested, tried, and strengthened. On the other hand, murder is, by no means, a vehicle for God's Will. Bad things will allways happen to people untill after the Resurection, no matter how good or bad they are.

zfreak2004
10-29-2002, 10:03 PM
Psalm 139 23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties.
And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.

I hope that helped some. That should be your prayer to God if you truely want to do His will.

Starkist
10-29-2002, 11:59 PM
All things work together for the good of those who love God. It says so in the Bible. Even temptations make you stronger if you resist.

deathbyhokie
10-30-2002, 01:20 AM
actually in Job, satan asks God's permission to tempt job. God is in control, and even satan has to aknowledge it