PDA

View Full Version : Win 2K & Updates

Mystery-Q
10-28-2002, 03:34 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to get windows update to automaticly start directly after a clean install of win 2K. Also if anyone knows what can be added in the unattend.txt file to be able to put the user name & orginization after the install is complete instead of have it done during the install.

This may sound a little weird so I will explain excatly what I'm trying to accomplish.

At my internship we do alot of win 2K installs for clients. It takes too much of the techs time that be used on other things. We want to do unattended installs either using RIS or a homemade disc. Unfortunatly each system we do gets a different user & company name so we can't just put a name in the unattend.txt file because they would all be the same. Also we want Windows Update to automaticly do its thing when 2K is installed so that a tech dosn't have to stand there and acctually go to the we page and select the updates manually.

If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreicate to hear them. With any luck I can bring in some info to my boss and impress him enough into giving me a job when my internship is over. Only got a week left on that.

Thx in advance!

teddyboy420
10-28-2002, 11:58 AM
You can run the updates off of a disk. I recentley DLed the new Win2k service pack (SP 3, I think), and I now have it in my file library. I probably will never need to use it again (I hope), but it's there in case I do. So you can DL the service pack and updates and store them on disk, in fact I have all the updates and service packs I've ever installed in a folder with all my other DL's.

As for running them automatically, you (or someone) could probably write an executable (.exe) in C OR C++ that would automatically run the updates after an install. But you would have to keep that and the updates on a CD and run it after the install is complete.

I hope my ideas help.

Mystery-Q
10-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Ya I'm thinking theres is some kind of script that can be written. I've read that it is possible I just gotta find out how and what kind of script would need to be written.