PDA

View Full Version : GameCube Demo DVDs

Warlock
10-27-2002, 05:08 PM
Wow, I was not even aware these were out, but someone told me they picked one up so I checked it out. To start off, these are not GC demo disks. They are DVDs (to be played on a DVD player) with trailers for Gamecube games and whatnot. They are completely free, and I picked mine up at Software Etc. The other guy said he got his at Funcoland (both of these being owned by GameStop). So I am guessing GameStop stores and Electronics Botiques will have them. They have a silver GC on the cover with Samus from Metroid Prime on top of that.

Anyways, the cd is pretty cool, at least for the Metroid stuff on it. The rest is kind of crap. For Metroid, they had two trailers for Metroid Prime, plus a "Legacy of Metroid" feature which showed info on every single Metroid game, including some video clips from them :D hehe.. it was cool :D They played Metroid II with that horrible default Super Game Boy color scheme tho, you know, the one that does a good job with the reds and yellows, but then makes the background that ugly-ass teal color (MAKE IT BLACK GOD DAMMIT! IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR METROID 1 AND IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR METROID II!! :D) Annnnyways, it was really cool.

The rest of the stuff was mostly for either games that were already out (SMS, Animal Crossing, Starfox Adventures, Mario Party 4), or crappy-ass 3rd party games. The Animal Crossing stuff was kind of cool tho, because they had all four tv commercials (those things are hilarious! :D)

If you click on the big-ass GameCube logo they also had a "Coming Soon" video with short clips from Zelda, F-Zero, and 1080 Snowboarding (this was pretty cool, but the clips were short, and Zelda seemed way too dark for some reason).

They also had some GBA videos, although three of them were commercials (one for SMA3: Yoshi's Island, one for the e-reader, and the other for that Kirby cartoon show.. why on earth they are advertising that on a gamecube demo dvd is beyond me... guess they want ppl to watch :D) They also had a general GBA trailer which actually showed good stuff. They had scenes from Yoshi's Island, Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland, and LoZ: LTTP Advance (including the link play, although this video was annoying b/c they did this thing where they had four GBAs linked together, and they would zoom in on the screen for one, show some footage, zoom out, then zoom in on another, etc.. the zooming was annoying ;)) and Metroid Fusion.

There was also DVD ROM stuff but I don't have one so I dunno what it was.

Anyways, go check it out.. it's free :D

Menokh
10-27-2002, 05:41 PM
Free, huh?

I guess I'll be taking a trip to the mall tomarrow to snag one of these. It'll seem kind of odd watching a GameCube demo DVD in a PS2, though.

Mak-X
10-27-2002, 09:29 PM
Argh, I don't have a DVD player, it would be nice if they made them play on GCN.

Warlock
10-27-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X
Argh, I don't have a DVD player, it would be nice if they made them play on GCN.

That would be nice ;)

Mak-X
10-28-2002, 01:45 AM
Yeah considering (fanboy jump in here) GCN can't play DVDs in the first place, if they were made to run on GCN, then they could cover everybody! And yes I need a DVD player but that's besides the point. Oh I know, I just use my Sony Playstation 2 that I "have" to play the demo disc of Nintendo Gamecube stuff!

El Oso Verde
10-28-2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Mak-X
I just use my Sony Playstation 2 that I "have" to play the demo disc of Nintendo Gamecube stuff!

How very ironic. http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/nick/smileys/mmlaughing.gif

Warlock
10-28-2002, 04:08 AM
I did the same thing (watched it on my PS2) :D

satanman
10-28-2002, 08:23 AM
I've got 2 DVD's that came free with a magazine (2 issues)
They're cool, and I used the PC :p

El Oso Verde
10-28-2002, 11:36 AM
I got one of these when I got a Dreamcast on saturday. http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/nick/smileys/mmbiggrin.gif