PDA

View Full Version : Senator Wellstone

C-Dawg
10-25-2002, 03:00 PM
One of the most outspoken Senators, and certainly the most liberal, has just died in a plane crash. With him were his wife, daughter, and many staffers...

Today we have lost a great liberal champion, and George Bush will once again benefit from a national tragedy.

-C

gdorf
10-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Today we have lost a great liberal champion, and George Bush will once again benefit from a national tragedy.

I am pretty sure Bush is not happy about the loss of several American lives, even if they happen to believe differently from him.

C-Dawg
10-25-2002, 03:57 PM
"Happy" and "Benefit from" don't mean the same thing, Gdork.

-C

Orion
10-25-2002, 04:29 PM
I was actually going to go see him at an event (myself being from Minnesota where he was serving and was running for re-election) this Sunday. It was worth a full letter grade of extra credit too, dammit. Plus, his opponent (Norm Coleman) sux. Rumors are flying that Governor Ventura will run in his place.

Starkist
10-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Precedent says that the Dems will benefit. In 2000 Governor Carnahan of Missouri was killed in a plane crash. His opponent, then Representitive Ashcroft halted campaining out of respect. The result was a dead man winning a Senate seat and his widow sitting in it until this year.

Qusetonui
10-26-2002, 12:07 AM
Two years ago, around this time I heard that Mel Carnahan was killed in a plane crash. Now Senator Wellstone was killed in a private plane crash. Is it about time that we outlaw private planes? It killed a few people now that I know (two senators now). Who will now fill in for the MN Senator seat is Alucard's question.

C-Dawg
10-26-2002, 12:51 AM
Starkist, that's great, except that there is no widow in this case. There is no way for the Dem to remain on the ballot, and you know as well as I that the Republican is NOT going to step down. This is a cruical seat for control of the senate, and the Republicans will do all in their power to get it.

It is possible that the people of Minnesota will vote for whoever takes Wellstone's place out of sympathy, but I really find that less likely that them voting for the suriving candidate. The new candidate has 11 days to campaign. In Carnahan's case, his name remained on the ballot and his widow was awarded the position in his place. Neither of those facts apply here.

-C

Starkist
10-26-2002, 01:03 AM
Senator Torricelli stepped down and Frank Lautenberg has taken the lead in certain polls in a mere three weeks. You underestimate the Democratic Party Machine.

On another note, it is a sad thing when anyone dies. No matter how much I may disagree with someone's views I would never wish death on them. The show must go on though.

Orion
10-26-2002, 01:42 PM
Actually, I am going to quote the locl news here:

The Governor has the option to appoint somebody to fill Wellstone's position until election day. He can but will not appoint himself.

The democratic party can replace Wellstone on the ballot in time for the election. Whoever is elected on election day will begin their term on election day (instead of in January like everyone else). Right now the democrats are talkin Walter Mondale, former V.P. instead

Starkist
10-26-2002, 09:47 PM
That means that if the Republican candidate wins, then no matter the outcome of the other national races the GOP will control the Senate until at least January. If the Democrat wins, it will stay the same.

I heard a left wing talk radio host (I know there aren't many of them, but hey) today saying that he believed the CIA working for the GOP destroyed Senator Wellstone's plane. So you see, conspiracy theories occur in the radical left as well as the radical right.

Ganonator
10-27-2002, 01:56 PM
I actually met Wellstone at a debate here in Moorhead MN (I go to school at Concordia College here) and he was a really nice guy. If you dems use his death as a weapon against the President, go fuck yourselves. Paul was a great guy, even though I wouldn't have voted for him, its not good to have people die.

Starkist
10-27-2002, 02:48 PM
From what I heard my evil right wing talk radio people say, Wellstone was a really nice guy. Unlike so many other Democrats he held his views for a reason rather than following the party mantra. He was very liberal, but he had a cause.

Maverick_Zero
10-27-2002, 04:23 PM
A man of truth and intelligence has died. :(

The Savior
10-27-2002, 04:26 PM
My AP history teacher was going to be meeting with him at the debate he was flying to the day it happened. :/